Where do i go?

Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:14 am

Guys,

I am coming over to Ireland in late may early june, and hope to get some shore fishing in from the 4th to the 7th june. I am in County Mayo on the 4th and have to be on ferry from Rosslare on the 8th, so i would ideally like to fish a shore mark in Mayo then drive down to the south coast on the 5th and do a different mark each day. The tackle i will have with me is suitable for clean beaches, and um as i can't cast that far, a deepish mark might be better. I will also have spinning gear with me and would like a bash at that too, or saltwater flyfishing. I wanna do it all, with the occaisional pause for a pint of the black stuff :P oh and a bit of grub

I am going to be camping, so if the areas are fairly near a camp site so much the better.

So Can anyone help me out, with any suggestions, of where to go (Polite ones please :) ) Also it would be great if I could join some of you, thats if you don't mind a young nubile (ok so thats a gross exaggeration, and I hope it never gets back you my usual fishing buddy he would have great fun posting that on site!!! :shock: :oops: ) beer drinking female tagging along.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Fluff Chucker AKA Fluffie, AKA Sally

omg no

Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:09 pm

Guys take it from me it will be an interesting time if you take fluffy up on her offer!!!!!!!

Colin Olver sea angling casting instructor

Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:42 pm

Sally

Surprised no one has come to your aid so far – I’m sure they will, but what does nubile mean? Aha, I’ve solved it . Nubile = “of marriageable age” my dictionary tells me, so that’s why the lads are keeping their heads down :) . I’m not really the person to give advice at all, but so that you’ve got something to start with, I’ll have a go.

Seriously if you’re starting in Mayo, you’ve got to find a mark in Clew Bay, its littered with them. (Webmaster Kieran may even tell you about his favourite) :wink: . That leaves you 3 days on the south coast (if you didn’t discover the Dingle Peninsula on the way down).

Day 1 Courtsmacsherry, either from the shore or hire a small boat and go out in the estuary. http://angling.erin.ie/fishing.htm

Day 2 Youghal, don’t know it at all, but I see lots of posting about it.

Day 3 Kilmore Quay and Strand are a possible, with some good sea food places to eat or otherwise get closer to the ferry – the Safe at Rosslare looks very interesting.

Camp sites I can’t help you with but I’m sure someone can.

If you’re researching marks go to http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/map% ... 0shore.htm for an incredible guide to shore marks.

One word of warning. You may already know, but most of the fish from the Sussex/Hampshire/Dorset coast re-located to Ireland some years ago. Don’t tell too many people on your local web-site or they’ll all be over.

Message to all the lads. This is a damsel in distress. Please help her. She won’t ever forgive me, but if you want to know what it’s like to fish the UK south coast, here’s a little link. http://sea-angling.org/viewtopic.php?t=1577 :lol:

Good luck with your trip, Sally and let us know how you get on. The great craic will be expected, it’s the fish we want to know about. :wink:

Tim

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:21 pm

Tim,

You are a saint, I was beginning to give up on a reply. Err perhaps nubile wasn't a good word to use, or young for that matter however i did say that it was an exaggeration, a fisherwomans tale?

I can't wait to come over and sample the fishing, what could be better, a few days fishing Lough Mask then on to the serious stuff of trying your shore marks.

I did have the option of fishing on the Moy but have decided that i want to explore the beaches instead, from the reports i have read the fishing over your way is so much better than here, the mere thought of a shore caught tope is exciting, not that i plan to catch one as i am borrowing Colins Zippies and mag elite, rockets and sports mags, (um he doesn't know yet so keep it quiet) well you have to be equipped for all eventualities :D and i might get the occaisional birds nest :shock:

Ah yes Tim I might not forgive you for putting up the link, the guys will think we are all mad over here, however, truth be told there is only one mad man on the site and thats Crackpot hence his name, the rest of us are totally sane, well i am, i have a certificate saying so from my psychiatrist :D

As to camp sites i have found a good web site with most areas included.

thanks again for your help

Fluff

Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:28 am

I reckon all the replies were by private message . Well , mine was anyway .
Good luck

Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:48 pm

Fluff
Sorry to have to make a small correction but I did say I wasn't the person to give advice - and that's because Ireland is only home for 2 weeks a year!
However I do know this site is excellent for getting some cracking advice, great reports on all the marks around the shoreline. Keep logging in and reading the reports and as you get near to your trip, try putting up a specific query and I'm sure you will get a good response. There are some very skilled fisher folk who post on here and they are always very generous with any help they can give.
Tim

Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:31 pm

Cheers Tim will post nearer the time as you suggest.

Blowin, I've checked my pm's and nothin there, not even one, :cry: oooooo i wonder who's got my pm then. :shock:

I know this is the wrong site, but, can anyone tell me a really good website for lough mask, which has a description of all the bays and places the fish tend to be, preferably with depths and what flies are best at different times of the year

Cheers guys

Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:53 am

Hiya . PM definitely went ok so far as I could tell from here . System seems ok 'cos pete got his ( and sent me a very "interesting" recipe back .So interesting I think it might be wind-up..... Pete ??? )
Anyway , you didn't miss much . Just said I'd be happy to do a bit of research but am fairly new over here myself so no expert . All I can add to the earlier replies and what you've found yourself is don't do the blowin stuff and shout about 2 lb trout and 10 lb conger . These guys throw the tiddlers back !
Good luck
N/

Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:28 am

Sorry - I meant "put" , not "throw" !

Dodgy conger recipe????!!!

Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:07 pm

Blowin,
Ah ye of little faith! It's a Portugese conger stew, got the recipe from Alan Davidson's book 'North Atlantic Seafood'. The bread thing is a bit different but then again the Portugese know their fish.

Pete