Is this the right reel for me?

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:57 pm

Sorry lads this is a bit of a "Me Me" post. I've had a Shimano Triton Speedmaster multiplier in the cellar for a couple of years without ever having the confidence to have a shot at it. On the basis that using multipliers from the shore is totally new to me, is this reel a good starting point or is it a bit like hopping into a F1 car speedwise?

is this the right reel for me

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:59 pm

the speed master is a very good reel and a quick retrieve,but if i was starting off with a multiplier i would go for a mag elite reason being you can use brake blocks and the magnets to control the reel ,no over runs [birdnests ]and you will soon gain the confidence to drop to one small brake block and the magnets.after you become proficiant you can just use magnets.it will be up to you but i think this is a better reel to learn with and easier to use for the first time multiplier user.cheers john.

Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:41 pm

Cheers man thats kind of what I'd heard from others as well. I might mothball the Shimano and but a cheaper (Shakespeare or Ron Thompson) one to cut my teeth on because I could'nt justify throwing a ton at a Penn while I already have a perfectly good reel in situ!

speedy

Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:38 pm

[The speedmaster is a firey fast reel, thats not to say that its hard to cast with, after plenty of practice. If you have the bobs handy I would recomend the new 525 super mag. Tamer than the origional I used mine at the wall last weekend and was only mad about it. Billy the bass......b][/b]

Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:30 pm

blaker, If you haven't tried one yet you're welcome to have a fling of my superMag when I'm over in April. Might be useful to compare to your reel if you struggle with it.

Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:35 pm

Johnaton, that would be the business, cheers. I know the 525 is very highly rated and I reckon 60% of guys I saw on de Wall this year were using them. Listening to all the testimonials about how great they are, I'm getting desperate to own one but funds wise its a non runner. Must start squirrelling a few sheckels aside!

Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:46 pm

Another easy multiplyer to use is the Daiwa SL20SH. You can incease or decrease the amount of braking by using different blocks - not something you want to do on the beach, but change as you get more confident with the reel. The red blocks provide maximum braking and although not as simple to adjust as the 525, it is a comparitively easy reel to get the hang of. Mine has NEVER fluffed on me with either 15lb line, 25lb red ice, or the 65lb Whiplash braid I use now. They are also less than the price of the 525 on http://www.ebay.co.uk . There's one up at the moment for £50, but I have seen them for just over 40. http://search.ebay.co.uk/sl20sh_W0QQsojsZ1QQfromZR40

I've just seen a 525 mag in Cork up there though for £85!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW
I'm thinking of selling my SL20SH as I now have an SL30SH, a 525 Mag and an Abu 6500 Sport Mag - not to mention a spinning reel and a fixed spool beachcasting reel I never use!

shimano speedmaster

Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:03 pm

An absolutely lovely reel. Shimano did an FS AND AN FS 11. I had the FS and used it to lob baits upto 50 yards into the kelp on the Antrim coast. Filled with 30 lb line and plenty of red rocket fuel it was brilliant for this. very quick and strong. Use it and enjoy or make me an offer!

Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:37 pm

Thanks for all the pointers guys. Plenty of food for thought. I got Sea Angler this month for the first time in ages (too much advertising) because they had a semi decent article on the multiplier second hand market and all the main models. Worth a read if anybody is in the same boat as me.
I'm going to try and use the Speedmaster. I know that there'll be loads of horror overruns but if its as good as I've been reading it would be criminal to underutilise.
Theres a nice sandbank in Courtmac so I'll be out there on Sunday taking a few tentative steps.
PS I had planned on going to Courtmac today but I won two corporate stand tickets for the French game in a raffle last night!!!!!!!!!

Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:47 pm

If you're going to use that reel, as with any multiplier, make a smooth cast and watch for the instant the lead hits the water - then slam your thumb down on the spool to stop the overrun.

Enjoy.