Traps for sand eels

Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:52 pm

blaker.

I am based in Skibbereen but we get the sand eels in Clonakilty.
Chuck.

Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:06 pm

Hope it didn't sound like I was being all official but I used to be a fisheries officer for the EA. Just didn't want to see you getting your collar felt without realising you were doing something wrong. Mainly commercial boys who get done but if you come across a real jobs worth he would probably do you too.
I normally dig the sand eel beds with a fork on a low spring tide. As long as they're in it shouldn't take too long to get enough for a few trips.

Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:07 am

I haven't tried over here but in Cornwall get onto a sandbank just above waterline at low tide , use a fork and dig fast but not deep , scattering the sand around you . Grab em before they dig in again . Any kids around would soon join in so on a good day you could get loads in no time . Not so many kids on the beaches over here tho .
I'm told that an old regular up at Strandhill uses something like a blunt hand-held syckle with notches in the "blade" . Sweeps it thru the sand and hooks eels out .

Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:11 pm

Don I havn't tried fishing for them here , although I have seen them being caught on hokkai's and sabiki's around the baily, although these were the greater variety. Try cat rock too Don.

sandeel trap

Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:20 pm

Hi

That sickle implement is called a vingler and is Cornish in origin.
Seen photos but not one in use, meant to be a seriously skilled job...

FWIW