Trap for sand eels?

Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:23 pm

Is it possible to buy a trap for sandeels?
Hard little buggers to catch!
Found this trap on ebay was wondering would it be any good for catching crab and sandeels??

Check out this link-
http://search.ebay.co.uk/fish-trap_W0QQfltZ9

Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:17 pm

I have two of those. I stick a fish head inside, tie on a long line and sling 'em in when I'm rock fishing sometimes. I once had a huge edible crab nearly 10 inches across it's shell and loads of shore crabs. Once I even had a small 3 bearded rockling in with the crabs. Still haven't caught any sandeel though, but I'm not saying it's not possible to do it. The only time I've caught sandeel was during a mackerel frenzy and a couple of sandeel took the feathers.

There are a lot of sandeel by the side of Greystones harbour wall in season and I would like to try there this year with the traps.

If you do catch any, same as prawns, keep them in a dark bucket as they get stressed out in a white bucket.

Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:19 pm

you can use tiny flies/feather tied on small hooks. silver with red whipping best.

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:57 am

In summer a net works well in shallow water. Probably needs to be about 20 feet long minimum and say5 feet deep.

Trap for sandeels?

Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:25 pm

So basically use a bit of fish? What about setting up the trap at a deep part of a beach in the summer? Would this work? And what about the green crabs you can catch at the shore, what are they called? Are they any good for fishing??

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:34 pm

You could take it out at low tide and then go back & get it later, but you'd have to secure it to stop it rolling around.

As for the green crabs, they do sell them in the fishmongers, but I don't know what for. I've cooked them up in a wok with chilli sauce before, but you need about 15 to make any sort of starter for 2 people. Then it gets messy as it's all finger food. As for fishing purposes, I guess they would peel the same as any other crab?

Trap for sandeels!

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:53 pm

You sound like a bit of a chef!! Wouldnt fancy cooking them myself, Ive tried using them as bait but are very hard to take the shell of, then if you try breaking the shell they just turn to s***!! Not much meet on them!!

Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:09 pm

They are actually velvet swimming crabs and do have a velvety coating on the shell.....and I guess they swim! Oh, and wicked red eyes!

[img]http://www.divernet.com/travel/pics/0902farne6.jpg[/img]

Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:17 pm

Not sure how your bye-laws work but be careful as use of an unlicensed fixed engine (trap) in the UK is illegal in certain areas.

Trap for sandeels?

Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:04 pm

Good chance ill not be using it in the UK!!!!

Re:Velvet swimmers

Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:23 pm

Ah....old Mr. Pinchy..damn sight more agressive than other crab species. Very nice bait if you can lay your hands on one that's about to peel, took a cuckoo ray from the shore on one last year.

No bye-laws applying as long as you ain't selling commercially, non-quota species aswell. No size limit either, which is ridiculous really. No regulations cover your sandeel nets either, not unless your selling the catch or happen to be netting in places where sea-trout or salmon are knocking about. A small seine or a casting net would sort out any sandeels or you could try one of those push nets at the low-water mark. You ain't going to get sandeels by baiting a trap or drop net.

Pete

Traps for sand eels.

Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:33 pm

Nets are banned in certain estuaries here in West Cork . Your nets will be taken off you by the Water baliffs even if you argue that you are after sand eel.
The easiest way to get a years supply of sand eel for freezing is do what we do each September. Wait for the Lowest tide of the month that coincides with a full moon, go down to the gravel banks in the estuary and scoop out the sand eels with your hands.
Charlie.

Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:33 pm

Where you based Chuck?

Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:42 pm

sorry that guest was me

Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:38 pm

Most of the sandeel netting in Dublin is done on clarmont beach in howth, you need a very large three man net and a pair of waders! You can buy one from the net makers on the west pier , very expensive though.

Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:10 pm

George,

Have you ever tried cathcing them on rod and line from this beach?

Donal.

Trap for sandeels?

Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:00 pm

I dont tink a rod and line would be much good, once caught a greater sandeel with the rod, snag him in the head with a jerman sprat!! It was about 9 inches long!

Trap for sandeels?

Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:02 pm

I think ill stick to buying the from Charlie Doherty, less hassel!!
What do the little buggers feed on anyway?

Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:35 pm

We've modified a Course Fishing keepnet for sandeel bashing this summer, will lets yaz know how we get on.

Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:52 pm

we use mustad shrimp rigs for greater sandeels ,these are very effective from boat or used from shore with a spinner .