New Beechcaster????

Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:46 pm

Alright lads. Thinking of spending bout 200 euro on a new beechcaster, and maybe a fixed spool. Any tips on which to buy? Current Beechcaster is a Shakespeare, with a basic Okuma fixed spool reel. Any help would be great?

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:13 pm

Mikes tackle shop are currently selling the Penn Vendetta 13ft for £100:

http://www.mikestackleshop.co.uk/shoppi ... s_626.html

Don't know if it's FS or Multiplier, don't know if it's any good either, but I seem to remember some good comments somewhere on this fourm.

Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:13 pm

Cheers Adrian, i'll check that out. Anyone any views on this Particular rod?????

Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:24 pm

Sea Angler Mag ran reports on budget rods under 100 and then rods over 100 at the end of last year have a look through that, if you are stuck I may be able to dig it out and fax or e mail you info. If you are buying a fixed reel then dont go too cheap. I dont really look at them as I have a couple of antique mitchels that still do the job as a back up for the multiplier.

Be interested to see what you get.

Good luck

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:18 am

It might be worth buying a second hand rod. Ring a few tackle shops and ask them if they have second hand rods in good nick. You can often pick up a real bargain on a rod that is in perfect condition. It also means you might be able to afford a rod that is normally well out of your price range.

Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:41 am

Great lads thanks, i'll let ye know how I get on. I wanna buy something better, but I dont wanna be conned by the shop into buying something below average, because of my lack of knowledge. Thanks again.

Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:54 pm

Daiwa Supercast range got rave reviews in Sea Angler. Prices vary from £150-180.