Fishing Southern Ireland in late April

Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:33 pm

For the last 3 years I have been coming to Courtmacsherry in Sept to fish for bass although might also visit in late April this year. I wondered what the shore fishing (obviously not for bass) was like in April/May and target species?
I have also struggled to find a shop selling fresh bait in the area. Anyone know any?

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:53 pm

Hi, Stehen Blake here don't know if we've met when you're in Courtmac. The fishing is actually OK down there in April/May. You have a rake of options really.
The Boat House, Burren Pier and the sandbank directly opposite the BoatHouse all fish well throughout the year for flounder, bass, dab and eels.
Broadstrand will always yield dab, flounder, and doggies and the occassional bass if you're lucky.
Quarry point and Barry's Point are two very good rock marks for pollack, huss, thornies, wrasse and bass. Thee 2 spots require a bit of a walk and the directions are a bit intricate to give here but if you ask anyone in the village they'll set you right no problem.
Timoleague and the Courtmac pier might just give up some mullet depending on the weather between now and then. Use liver at the bridge in Timoleague or mackerel on a dropping tide at the head of Courtmac pier.
Baitwise theres a guy in Clonakilty who'll sell you all the frozen baits. Directly outside the hotel in Courtmac is stuffed with lug andharbour rag (to the right of the old jetty) and theres plenty of crab to be had at the tennis court in the middle of the village.

By the way MJ should have the self drive boats in the water by April so you should have a look at grabbing one of them because it really broadens your horizons!

Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:21 pm

Stephen, thanks for the thorough reply, most appreciated. I'm terrible with names so might have met. The chap in the pottery shop in Cour, told you I was terrible with names, might have mentioned you as it sounds familiar.
I was out 2 weeks last Sept/Oct with the Mrs to fish for bass on the big spring tides. Had good catches up to 8 1/2lb on the neaps although thought I would limit fishing time until big tides came. Gutted though as when they did come the fishing went dead? Very strange. Also very embarrassing as convinced couple of friends to come out for the weekend and all we caught was a mackerel and couple of whiting between us. Sent numerous texts before they arrived telling how good the fishing was. Sand eels left the beds in Cour and eveything seemed to move out.
Possibly back in April and definitely coming for a week beginning 19th Sept so might bump into you then. Thanks again, jonathan.

SHORE FISHING CLONAKILTY AREA

Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:39 pm

HI GUYS
SORRY TO BUTT IN .I AM STAYING AT BALLINGLANNA JUST DOWN THE COAST FROM CLONAKILTY MID-LATE JUNE AND WONDERED IF YOU KNOW OF ANY MARKS CLOSE TO WHERE I AM STAYING.(GOT BAD BACK SO CAN'T WALK TOO FAR).IF NOT CLOSEBY ANY MARKS LOCAL.
THANKS.

marks around Clonakilty

Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:47 pm

Hi Barbel

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/shor ... 0south.htm

the above link might help you explore some of the better known and more easily accessed marks...

FWIW

Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:59 pm

Barbel, have mostly fished around Courtmacsherry so would only be able to give my views on this area. Sounds like Stephen is the man to speak to. Would be happy to pass on my successes if you plan to fish in Courtmac.

Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:02 pm

Hey. I'm not 100% on Ballinglanna so I don't want to steer you wrong.
I do know that the mullet in Rosscarberry are fantastic. Either at the jetty or the "bridge". Can almost fish from the car so no mobility issues. Cutlet half a dozen mackerel and lob them in. Fish a fish bait about an inch over that on the dropping tide and you'll bag up.
Galley head is a fantastic an quite accessibl rock mark near Clon full of VERY big pollack as well as dabs, mackerel, and doggies. Red Strand in that area has a good rep too but I've never got much there.
In Clon Inchydoney beach (well signposted) is a beauty if you hae to fit fishing around family holidaying. Chances of Bass and plaice at the far left and right channels to sandeel.
Ring harbour can also be quite productive but that does require some scrabbling so might not be on. Plenty of bait available in the area too.

Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:11 pm

Johnaton I remember the fish alright I think! Up by the coves? The fish are extremely temperamental at that time. Any disturbance to those sandeel beds kills it stone dead straightaway.

COURTMAC.

Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:19 pm

HI JONATHAN
I SHALL BE GIVING THE COURTMAC AREA A GO ,SO ANY TIPS WELCOMED.

THANKS STEVEN FOR YOUR ADVICE ALSO.

WHAT IS THE CHANCE OF CATCHING A BASS?
WHERE,WHAT METHOD,WHAT BAIT?

THANKS GUYS

Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:30 pm

See above really on places to fish in Courtmac. The big thing about Courtmac in summer is the floating green weed. I can't describe the volumes of it or the frustration it causes. Therefore if you're fishing in the estuary (Burren, Woodpoint, The boathouse) fish slack water times. An hour before and an hour after low tide is a favourite. As with any estuary crabs nicking bait are a big problem so stick to peeler if fishing the bottom. The narroness of the estuary makes it plum for fly/lure as well and the Boathouse is a flipping Mecca for that type of fishing. The most successful methods are large silver Kilty Catchers or Rubber Eels fished 6/7 foot behind a bubble float half filled with water.
Bass is your main and most likely quarry followed by flounder. As an aside, I had a triggerfish there last year and another Steve had a black bream(!) from burren on lug. Costa del Courtmac.
I urge you to go for the mullet though. Its really easy and if you get it right, a 20 fish bag is achievable and there are some damn big ones. See comments above on how to do it.
Good luck! If you're stuck I live in "Rockmount" down towards the hotel, call up and ask.

Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:32 pm

I know what you mean. I took 9 fish over three separate evenings fishing only couple of hours each time. All taken opposite side from Wood Point bit further round from Burren Pier off flood defence by roadside. Superb looking and fighting bass ranging from 4-8 1/2 lb. The Mrs also caught a lovely 6 1/2 lb fish. When friends came we spent three days solid fishing at all states of tide all over bay and could not hook a thing. All sand eels vanished at Cour and Inch and bass obviously followed.
Spent last day watching huge shoal of mullet waiting below bridge at Timoleague at low tide. Definitely going to try your liver suggestion to see if i can tempt some.

Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:40 pm

Completely forgot about the weed. Totally agree with comment about being a pain. I'm sure 2004 was worse than previous year!
If fishing on bottom I found sand eels injected with air fished on a long paternoster helped avoid crabs. Also seems to produce good bites as must mimick live sand eel in current. Either that or floating beads with worm works with lifting bait off bottom.

COURTMAC

Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:40 pm

THANKS FOR ADVICE GUYS.
STEPHEN
IF I CAN I WILL POP IN TO SEE YOU AND BUY YOU A PINT FOR YOUR HELP.
JONATHAN
DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU ARE BASED OR I COULD GET YOU A DRINK AS WELL.

KEEP IN TOUCH GUYS.
THANKS.
GARY

Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:50 pm

I'm based in London although might be moving to Cornwall soon. Waiting on confirmation of job. Let me know how you get on and thanks for offer of drink.
If you get a chance try float fishing sand eel off the flood defence mentioned. You can park really close although bit of a stumble to get down to edge so might not be suitable. Check out site at low tide to check for snags and rocks as the bass love that terrain and also avoid losing them when hooked. I found fishing from 2 hrs before HT was best. You have to fish when tide is in unless you have a drop net.

Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:43 am

Hi guys

Is there anywhere locally that sells fresh bait?can,t dig it myself due to injured back.
any advice welcomed.

courtmac

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:17 pm

dan lynch at halfway tackle in ballinhassig is about twenty minutes' drive in the cork direction and sells bait including live peelers if they're in season.

Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:23 pm

cheers rocky.

courtmac

Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:23 pm

you'll actually find contact details at http://www.halfwayanglingcentre.com if you want to give him a buzz beforehand. It's a funny little shop, dan runs it out of what appears to be his garage but stocks anything you could think of and usually knows where is fishing well and what tactics are working. There may very well be a bait dealer closer to courtmac or clon, but it's very much worth your while dropping in here anyway if you're coming from Cork city to west cork, it's just two minutes off the main road and is well signposted.
(and I don't work for him or anything! but have found him really helpful)

Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:30 pm

Having booked 2 weeks in August near Courtmacsherry, I've just read all the postings and now realize where Paradise is :)
Thanks for all the great information and I'll try to put it to good use. Looking at the maps, Dunworley beach looks interesting. Anyone ever fished there, or does the fishing near Courtmacsherry spoil you for anything else?
Tim

Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:54 pm

Dunworley is pretty unique. You fish from jagged rock straight onto hard pristine sand. Its wavy all the time and a great spot for some bassing.
Lure or bait will do.