somewhere other than Howth

Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:21 pm

i live near howth but have been blanking a lot there lately.im looking for a change of scenery.anyone got any worthwhile ideas or would i be better sticking with howth.

Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:21 am

Most places around Dublin/Wicklow will be fishing fairly poorly at present. You're probably best to leave your fishing trips to around the times of big tides, when the fish are more likely to feed.

There are spots in Howth which will produce fish. Now is probably a good time to explore a few places, and try new marks. Try walking the coastline from the Bailey back towards Red Rock, and you'll come across a few likely places to wet a line. Even if you don't catch, at least you will find new areas which might fish well during the summer. This is certainly more productive than standing on the rocks in Balscadden freezing your nuts off, and catching 3 inch dabs! (something I've done far too often in the past!).

If you want to go somewhere further afield, you could always try some of the Wicklow beaches. To be honest you will generally be fishing for anything that comes along. So it would be no harm to try somewhere like Greystones harbour wall, or the adjacent rocks. If you aren't catching anything, Kilcoole and Newcastle beach are only a 15-20 minutes drive away.