Fermoyle Beach?

Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:47 am

I've been invited to fish Fermoyle Beach in a few weeks but as I know very little of this venue I would greatly appreciate any advice on what are the possible target species for this time of year, to what baits and on what rigs. (oh and how to get there travelling from the cork direction).
Any suggestions from the lads from The Kingdom?

Fermoyle

Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:51 am

The easiest way to get to Fermoyle is to head to Tralee, then take the Dingle road through Blennerville, then out past Castlegregory. You will come across signs for numerous beaches, namely Stradbally, Gowlane, Kilcummin, and finally Fermoyle. To get to Fermoyle you need to turn right off the main road towards Cloghan.

It's a standard surf beach. If you are after bass stick to lugworm or sandeel (razorfish can be excellent during the winter if you can get your hands on them). Flounder are a common catch here, again lug would be a good, but long thin strips of mackeral will probably catch more flounder at this stage of the year. They will also increase the chances of catching an early ray. If you're not catching try cocktailing your baits.

It's a good idea to wear waders of some kind, even if you are using a tripod, as there are strong runners on all of these beaches. You can be standing on dry land one minute, then up to your knees the next.

This beach can get very weedy at times, particularly after a strong blow. If you are suffering from weed problems, try moving up to one of the other beaches, Kilcummin or preferably Gowlane which does not suffer as badly.

Stick to simple rigs, 1 hook paternosters if fishing larger baits, or two hook paternosters if after flounder or just hedging your bets. More complicated rigs just tend to tangle in a strong surf. Although the surf looks very wild, you can get away with a 90g breakaway lead in all but the biggest tides. I would suggest that you use good quality, strong hooks, even if only flounder fishing, as these beaches can throw up some unusual catches (aside from large bass, they produces various rays, and even a huge skate was caught here during the last couple of years).

The best fishing is around dawn or dusk on all of these beaches.

A 13lb bass was caught in Kilcummin this year already, so can't I wait to hit these beaches myself over the Easter weekend!

Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:41 pm

Rocketman,are you coming to fish the traleebay sac comp?If so dunno if I want to give the competition any tips :) :) The best rig for fermoyle if there is a good surf running and you are just targeting bass is a single hook clipbown rig or pulley rig with sandeel as bait.Also as mentioned above lug and razor also work well.If you want to target flatties aswell use a 6 foot 3 hook flapper.Put a 3/0 hook on the top snood andbait with sandeel.The other 2 snoods tie on a size 2 hook and bait with lug tipped with either a sliver of mackeral or a couple of maddies.Also use plenty of beads on the 2 bottom snoods.You will be targeting flounder,Dab,bass and possability of seatrout.Hope this is of some help.

fermoyle beach?

Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:22 pm

hi steve and bigcol,

thank you both so much for such a wealth of excellent information and for being so generous in passing it on.

bigcol you got it in one i do plan to fish the competition all going well. i don't think i'll be much of a threat to any of the locals though not having fished the area before.

one more question - is fresh peeler crab any good a bait for either the flounder or the bass at fermoyle? would it be worth my while taking a couple of dozen?

Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:29 pm

always worth trying peeler :D .There is a chance that it may be unfishable due to weather and tides.There is an inspection sunday am.If it is too bad the comp will be moved to Inch.If it does move there will be a steward at camp cross from about 11.30 to direct you to Inch.Hope to see you there and good luck!

Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:23 pm

Well???How did you get on.If you caught any fish you did well.Perfect conditions( apart from the weed and the dead sheep in front of me!!!!)but very poor fishing.Btw I blanked.

Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:14 am

hey

i caught f *** all only plenty of rope and weed.up at peg 5 seen only 1 fish all day my mate had 3 and came 3rd he was on peg 40.will ye be fishing ballylongford in april :?:

fermoyle beach?

Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:42 am

hey guys,

much the same as yourself bigcol. blanked. looks like a beach with alot of possibilities though. i reckon a smaller tide would suit better and possibly fishing over high tide rather than low tide. the locals seem to favour later in the year.

ballylongford is a definite possibility always keen to try new venues. once again any info greatly appreciated.