Fishing in Galway

Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:45 pm

Have to be up in Galway on business early thursday and am going to head up tommorow and try and fit in a couple of hours fishing tommorow afternoon/evening. :lol: Will be staying in Salthill. Any spots around there fishing well at the moment? Any essentail gear i need to bring (apart from the obvious).

Do i need to bring Bait? Or can i pick some up in Galway?

thanks

Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:53 pm

you will be able to pick up bait in corrib tackle in the liosban industrail estate.havent been out fishin in a while so cant tell u what the fishing is like at moment.

nige

Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:58 pm

thanks nige will drop into them

Salthill

Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:06 am

Saw a young lad fishing from in front of the Aquarium with frozen mackerel (large bait!) for flounder and dogfish, said he has had thronbacks to 12 lbs there but presumably later in the year and that you get the odd bull huss, but they are mostly caught after dark. I'm sure JAKES and some of the lads out of the Galway City SAC would be willing to help you with other marks...

Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:48 am

your right bout in front of the aquarium kieran,but its not a nice place to be when the wind is blowing in to your face-as you know there is no shelter what so ever in that place.you also have to be carefull not to land or drop ur fish on the rocks as from my experience there is always rats the size of cats waiting to grap to ur catch.

nige

Re: Salthill

Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:48 am

kieran wrote:Saw a young lad fishing from in front of the Aquarium with frozen mackerel (large bait!) for flounder and dogfish, said he has had thronbacks to 12 lbs there but presumably later in the year and that you get the odd bull huss, but they are mostly caught after dark. I'm sure JAKES and some of the lads out of the Galway City SAC would be willing to help you with other marks...

Was talking to the young lad, Christopher and he has caught hardly anything there in the last month.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:19 pm

Thanks lads. Im here now have just been into the aquarium for a look ...... the bass tank is great. There is a bit of a wind blowing alright but am keen to see them rats :) Will let you know how i get on..

Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:45 pm

hi samonwalkabout

did u go fishing and if so what did u catch

nige

Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:39 pm

Had a go but it was freezing gave up after 15 mins no fish, didn't realise that there would be so many people walking around either salt hill was superbusy so gave up and went to the pub... :oops: terrible really i know but i will be back up soon so will make a proper attempt this time.