Sea Trout!!

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:12 pm

When is the best time to fish sea trout??
What are the best techniques for catching these fish?
Can float fishing work?

Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:15 am

summer is best so i am told. either with fly r free lining a sandeel r a strip of mackeral.a chap called judd ruane does it in the moy esturary and have heard good reports

sea trout

Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:55 pm

Hi Markj

You will catch them all around Donegal, and personally I find that spinning with a german sprat retrieved very quickly though turbulent water around darkness is the key. You can bait fish for them and even get them on lugworm looking for flatfish and bass on the storm beaches, especially at or near estuaries... ask Dingbat for help, I'm sure he's taken a few up North.

FWIW...

Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:38 pm

You are right on Judd Ruane and there is also another guy up there who does exactly the same thing. Great craic and unbelievable fishing. They use 2 primary methods anytime I've fished with them.
1. Sandeel agitated across the bottom. Let a sandeel sink to the floor and gently drag back towards the boat. If a trout takes it, give it line and strike if he makes a run.
2. Tazmanian Devils. ONLY the white bodied ones with either a red or yellow tip. As said above, fish them very fast.

I've used both of these methods with a lot of success in Courtmacsherry and the sandeel often throws up a bass too.

sea trout

Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:42 pm

Catching Sea Trout in the open beach. look at the beach and see if there is fresh water flowing into the sea. It could be a small stream or just rain water. A bait of frozen mackerel, sandeel or lug. If they are running along the beach they will take. A gentle lob usually does the job
dingbat

sea trout

Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:14 pm

do you need a licence to take sea trout in tidal waters?

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:51 am

yep but they are not very expensive and u get get just a local one if u know where u will b fishing