Wexford this weekend??? Any advice or tips???

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:23 pm

Alright Mateys. Heading down to Wexford this weekend with John D. Anyone any advice or tips??? I know from previous posts, that Feb is usually a slow month, so are we looking at blanks????? Were bringing Rag, Lug, Sandeel, Squid, and some peeler crabs? Will this do??? The marks we are hitting are along the LINES (ha) of Courtown, Roney Point, Cahore, and possibly Morriscastle or maybe even further down? Any help, tips or advice would be gratefully appreciated, thanks.

Believe me?

Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:34 pm

Alright Codswallop,

I hear there's going to be a couple of 10lb cod swimming around your bait no matter where you go. I read it in a magazine.

Regards,
John D :D

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:05 pm

Yes there will be. There always is, they just never take it!!!! 8)

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:05 pm

you'll do well to get anything from these areas there all shallow no bass in yet and thenflounder are spawning now if theres any back in yet they'll be in a poor state. try wexford harbour on the new quay its deeper and may hold a cod or two maybe, look for a deep mark that holds fish all the time possibly the point on the coombe beach - id say heres your best bet after dark.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:15 pm

fished shallow wexford beaches in jan. lots of small flounders, odd decent dab between the smallies and small codling and bass. friend had a fish bust his snood on retrieve, most likely a half decent codling?

find a feature. a shallow gulley or depression. if there is a gentle surf don't be afraid to cast tight behind it, even if it is ridiculously close to shore. low tide up often best. lug, fresh and frozen combo's tipped with mackeral usually reliable, but try different baits and see what they like!

should still be a few fish around now although i suspect it will be slow. should be down on sat. myself.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:51 pm

All the south Wexford beaches are fishing shite at the moment, nothing of an great quantity or quality from Rosslare to Rostoonstown. Id say your best bet would be to try Furlongs Road in Kilmore or the Burrow, deep marks and you never know what could be around.

Wexford Hbr is great either this time of year as it will be infested with crabs from March on it will start to pick up. Although if your blown out of the beaches you could use it as a last resort.

Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:08 am

fished down in cahore last week end in pretty bad conditions or good ones depends on your point of view. we fished cahore pier and had 14 small codling to crab and lug. also had 2 coalies,4 flounder one very decent one and 10 dabs in a three hour session. on the sunday fished a club competition in courtown, it s was very slow but a nice bass was caught and returned. my only advice would be to fish into to darkness and you should do better....hope this helps.

Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:48 am

Thanks lads, hopefully we'll have some good reports on Tuesday. Cheers

Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:52 pm

MB.3. You said your heading down on Sat, where would you be heading?

Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:35 pm

headin down around ballynamona/ tinnaberna or just south. don't know exactly where yet. not trying to be elusive Codswallop, i genuinely don't know. have to have a look at the sea conditions. hopefully there's something around. same tactics as above should produce. vary distance until you find fish, but usually close range is best.

Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:29 pm

how did you get on Codswallop. fished south of ballyvaldon. hat's off to the guest, the fishing was rubbish. friend had a 2 1/2 pound codling on his first cast. then nothing. 5 of us fished. 1 codling/ 1 dab/ a whiting and a coalie for myself and 2 blanks. tough going. lucky not to blank.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:35 pm

Sorry Mb3, but we did a little better then that, very well considering all the bad reports. We fished 2 marks, Roney Point and Cahore. Roney on Sunday night, was great. Nothing huge, but great entertainment. We caught 18 in all, 2 people, 3 rods. John D had a lovely Flounder first cast, and a decent whiting, and i had a nice Rockling. All together 18 fish, 5 species. Flounder, Dab, Rockling, Whiting and Coalie. Then Cahore on Monday night, was not as good, 4 fish caught in 7 hours. 2 Codling, a big Doggie, and a whiting at the very end of the night. Size wise, the trip was as expected, not up to much. But entertainment wise, we had a ball. 22 fish in 2 nights, 7 species, in the worst month of the year, was great. Roll on the next few months! :D :D :D

Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:44 pm

agreed!! here's to things pickin up. yee did alright!! fair play. now why didn't we go there?