bait

Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:17 pm

Does anyone know where i can get some good quality rag and peeler for next friday 4th of march in the Dublin area?

Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:01 pm

If you want to dig some, the flats at Sutton is probably your best bet. If you want to buy some - preferable at this cold time of year, phone up your nearest tackle shop and they will get some in for you. If your near tallaght, Tallaght Rod & Gun. If you're on the west side, the tackle shop at Lucan, if you're on the North Side, I don't know.

bait

Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:21 pm

hi if you are going to dig bait i reccomend the wooden bridge at dollymount there are more rag here and digging at sutton is harder as for peeler try abc he alwys has crabs frozen 6.50 for 4 crabs bit dear

bait

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:15 am

is the frozencrab any good

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:52 am

The frozen peeler is superb as most of the crab comes from the same supplier I think. He brings on his own peelers and supplies crabs before they peel too. If any start to pop, they get fast frozen straight away.

One thing I learnt in Cork, was not to discard the legs. Take the shell off 'em and whip them to another bait.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:12 am

€6.50 for 4!!
Want to watch your wallet, bit stiff alright!

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:25 am

€1 a crab with dave at celtic baits

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:30 am

That 4 crab for 6:50 euro sounds like the bait box velvet swimmer. Do a search on past threads.

Donagh

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:16 pm

Check out southside angling. I was getting fresh peelers there for a yo yo each. 6.50 for 4 frozen seems very expensive.

Donal.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:17 pm

How much bait exactly do you get out of one crab? I've never used them before and I'm presuming here that if an average sized bait is, say half a crab on a hook, it must be a very expensive bait to be using, especially when it'll be sripped off by whiting/lsd's in a matter of seconds?

Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:10 pm

it is pricy but the only thing about crab is that u can get a few casts our of it. use a pennel hook set up and just give it a squeeze between casts. one thing i ahve been shown by a chap called kevin brian in kerry is to wash ur hands in the sea and or sand before u touch the bait, gets rid of petrol soaps etc from ur hands so that the smell dosnt ruin the bait. i swear by it. especially for bass

Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:57 pm

you,ll do well to get any fresh peeler in the shops now, if you go to tilly and he doesnt know you he'll probably stick you with hardbacks you wouldnt be the first, as for rag try abc or henrys there ******* dear though 6 euro for 20 rag.