Question for Kieran

Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:20 pm

Kieran, In the March issue of Irish angler you mention somthing about unfriendly locals at one of the recomended Marks. Sorry I am in work at the moment and cannot remember which mark. I was just wondering what your experience there was???

Apologies to Kieran for getting him confused with the webmaster of beach caster!!!
Last edited by Never mind the pollocks on Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

locals

Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:41 pm

pollocks did you mean Kieran?

I read that too and was wondering about it because i've never had anything like that from "fellow anglers". It was a Waterford mark, I think. Can anyone elaborate?

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:36 am

I was going to ask the same question as it seemed a bit strange as I fished there and the locals seemed to have no problem with me fishing there they seemed friendly enough.

bump

Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:46 am

bump

Passage East

Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:45 am

Okay...

How it happened was that I was on the beach around Passage East and was chatting to a local who seemed very knowledgeable - confirmed what I knew myself and then told me about the bass off the rocks well down the beach to the south - so it being a nice day I took out the spinning rod and box of lures and headed off down the beach... very nice spot it is too.

Anyhow I was there for 30 minutes (not fishing, just scanning the scene with the polaroids) and these two gentlemen of indeterminate parentage and origin arrived down, asked me where I was from and what I thought I was doing there.

One had the cheek to pretend to be a "fisheries inspector"and that there was a special local bye law preventing bass fishing all year round - I think he meant bailiff - and since we all know that these are mythical beasts I just laughed him of... in as good natured way as possible.

The conversation did not get better, lots of comments about how a dublin car is readily recognised (don't drive a D reg, not the sharpest knives in the drawer this pair), and basically it got quite nasty.

As someone on the forum put it "Don't bring a gobshite with you anywhere in Ireland, there is always one available locally". I've never been threatened about fishing in a specific mark in Ireland ever in twenty years, and whilst it was all bluff and nonsense, I imagine someone with less experience or a junior angler could find the experience very unpleasant.

Would they be there again, yes, quite probably. Are they a threat?
Like all bullies, no, not to anyone who wants to stand up to them.

Its awful parochial nonsense, but what can you do?