Shockleader for plugging?

Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:41 pm

I bought a spinning outfit at Swords on Sunday for plugging for bass and float fishing from pier walls. I was wondering if it was neccesary to put shockleader onto the 10lb mono

Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:02 pm

not for plugging u dont, unless u r fidhing for pike r somthing like that and then just have a short length of wire r heavy mono. a good tip would b to learn the rapala knot as neil says it is better. and we all know that what neil says goes!!!!

Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:08 pm

Thanks, Liam, I think......

If you spin with braid, a length of mono rubbing leader is good - braid being easy to fray, though for me, the fact that it's easier to tie the knot to the lure in mono counts for more.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:11 pm

i don't really do much plugging, or spinning, but i was told that it can be a good idea to use a heavier line(20-35lb mono) when spinning over rough ground, this acts as a rubbing leader and can take the abuse of being dragged over sharp rocks. this applies with both light mono 12-18 lb and also when fishing with braid which can easily be knicked, and abraded by rough ground. personally i've never found any great advantage to using this rubbing trace, but then again, as i've said, i don't do a whole lot of spinning, and plugging, with just the odd afternoon spent rock hopping in the summer with german sprats for pollack

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:19 pm

Hi Delmonte,
Frodo is quite correct - you will not require a shockleader on 10lb mono if you are fishing relatively clean - if you are fishing rough ground it might be worth some 25lb for abrasion.
JK

Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:08 pm

Hi,

It may be worth breaking the knot and retying every now and then depending on how severe the cast. Braid does not seem to stress as easily as nylon.

Good luck

plugs

Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:18 pm

Lost 3 plugs @ €10 a pop :cry: on 15lb mono, now I was giving them a fair auld flick. I think it was the result of a snag/knot in my line getting caught in the cast due to my inexperience. I did hear that if you leave you line soaking in water the night before you go out it's less lightly to snag/knot?. The plug didn't seem to have enough weight to stop loads of line exploding off the reel and knotting up before and during the cast, how can I improve my technique? cheers

Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:33 pm

Kiwijbob,

I assume you're using a fixed spool reel? you might have too much line on the spool, make sure there's at least 3mm of lip left on the spool when all the line is loaded. Oh and the soaking mono in water to prevent knots sounds like a load of C€#p.