speciman bass-PORTMARNOCK!!

Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:22 pm

i got a booklet at the show yesterday about speciman irish fish 2004.as i was looking under the bass section i was shocked to see a 10 pounder was caught at portnarnock in sept on ragworm. theres hope for us yet :D :D :D :D

Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:40 pm

Its surpirising Steve,
But trust me there do seem to be a few caught in Dublin every year - You just dont hear about them. If only people would follow catch and release principles we could be a lot better off.

Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:43 am

yeah. i am not surprised. some good fish taken around dublin/ north beaches most years. a lot of them fall to ragworm too. just goes to show it's always worth a cast or two. don't give up yet!

Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:35 pm

Just like the guys who cut the wings off the ray in Foynes and have the arrogance to boast about it and then moan to people from the west coast about the difference between a mm and half a mm when match fishing on the east coast.

Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:42 pm

Concern,

You lost me there mate. What's that got to do with a specimen bass? :?

Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:01 pm

Concern wrote:Just like the guys who cut the wings off the ray in Foynes and have the arrogance to boast about it and then moan to people from the west coast about the difference between a mm and half a mm when match fishing on the east coast.

first, this has nothing to do with a bass

second, you wouldnt know the first thing about match fishing if you live on the west coast (apart from maybe a handful of anglers of which you are not)

third, you are making a fool of yourself

fourth, there actually is a difference between a mm and half a mm ( i.e. half a mm is actually a half of a mm.....or do you know what a half means??)

fifth, generally you have to cut the wings off a ray if you wish to eat it....although you probably eat them whole and raw while you are still standing on the pier.

sixth, i reckon you should go down to foynes - then jump in with a big concrete block tied around your legs.

Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:07 pm

Catch and release with the bass in Dublin and Then so called anglers from the city fishing beside me telling me "I love the ray from the Shannon its handy catching them on the paier in Foynes Just droive up to da paeir reel em in an cut da wings offem an throw em in.

One guy mentioned to me he fills up his fraezer box with ray waings as by the way he was talking he feeds the whole street.

By the way not all anglers who fish the Shannon Estuary and Dingle areas are into this barbaric sport.

Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:10 pm

yeah i agree with the guest, your point has absolutely no relevence to the topic, and is simply a dig at visiting anglers to "your" area.
there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a fish ( ie a ray) home to eat.
dont know what you have seen, but the majority of anglers on the east coast would be delighted to catch a ray, as the east coast is so bad from trawlers, etc. thats why we have to travel. but you wouldnt know anything about it seeing as you live in a region which does not have the problems of commercial overfishing

Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:21 pm

Concern wrote:Catch and release with the bass in Dublin and Then so called anglers from the city fishing beside me telling me "I love the ray from the Shannon its handy catching them on the paier in Foynes Just droive up to da paeir reel em in an cut da wings offem an throw em in.

One guy mentioned to me he fills up his fraezer box with ray waings as by the way he was talking he feeds the whole street.

By the way not all anglers who fish the Shannon Estuary and Dingle areas are into this barbaric sport.

i think your keyboard is broken mate.

you probably think that everyone who fishes foynes that you dont recognize is from the "city". your a bit of a plonker really arent you!
just because you were talking to one person who says he fills a freezer box( by the way i dont believe anyone said this anyway) you automatically think that everyone from " DA BIG SMOKE" kills every fish they catch.

foynes is a handy place to fish - you can drive up and fish out the back of your car - so what??? whats your point?

i reckon your just jealous because you dont catch anything, and all these bad men go down and steal your fishies!

MUPPET!

Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:38 pm

great what u can learn about fishing on this site isnt it. full of fishy little pearls of wisdom

Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:39 pm

Concern wrote:Catch and release with the bass in Dublin and Then so called anglers from the city fishing beside me telling me "I love the ray from the Shannon its handy catching them on the paier in Foynes Just droive up to da paeir reel em in an cut da wings offem an throw em in.

well if a guy had said that to me i would have had words with him.
you should have said something if you were so concerned - not moan about it on the internet!

Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:54 pm

Just to inform you all, the four previous 'Guest' comments are from the same person. One of the comments states that he/she agrees with a comment he/she made previously.
If you have a comment, please make it and stick by it.

Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:59 pm

Wes wrote:Just to inform you all, the four previous 'Guest' comments are from the same person. One of the comments states that he/she agrees with a comment he/she made previously.
If you have a comment, please make it and stick by it.

sorry wes, two different people...company computer network. we are both logged in - theres many computers here

Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:10 pm

Foynes is closed off now so making it difficult for cutting wings off rays or throwing ones self off the pier with a concrete block attached so calm down boys.

On topic. If you look through the previous years specimen hand books theres 1 or 2 double figure bass nearly every year from Dublin. I'm sure their lone bass making their way up from wexford. Alan yates in the rigs and baits book tells of an angler next to him in brittas bay catching a double figure bass while scratching for dabs with size 4 hooks. One reason I wouldn't touch a match hook with a 10 foot barge pole. One other thing is always be suspect of bass stories. Plenty of exagerated or made up stories of them being caught here there and everywhere as we have been seen on this forum.

Donagh

Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:17 pm

i once caught a 30lb bass with my bare hands!! :lol: :lol:

not really but i did catch a near double figure bass on size 4 match hooks! had to take it very easy though when i realised what i had hooked!!

and it was returned - by the way i feel that if an angler wants to keep a fish, then it is better to keep a small one i.e. a bass of 2 or 3 pounds rather than one of 10 lbs. the reason being that these big fish are the ones who spawn

Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:32 pm

I'm not a 100% on this but I though that bass spawn at around the 1.5lb (3 years, I think) mark. I always though the Irish size limit (45cm about 2 - 3lb) was excellent as the majority of fish taken will have spawned at least once. I was watching an old re-run of screeming reels the other day. They were doing a big of bass fishing in the UK. The size limit was 36cm and they had a few fish that were VERY close to the limit and were joking about that fact as the fisheries boat came over to check the fish. Disgraceful in my opinion. If in doubt it shoud go back. An easy way to be sure is to have the size limit measured from the butt of your rod to a tippex mark on the rod. That way you can quickly check and put the fish back without any harm done if it's undersize.

Kev

Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:32 pm

For heaven's sake, could the "guest"(s) PLEASE take 1 minute out of their busy schedule and register? You only have to give your e-mail address!! It would be so much less annoying and confusing!!

Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:42 pm

Hi Mac,

Its 40cm limit in Ireland but IFSA limit is 45cm for the table. I think your talking abot screaming reels from the Thames at an old gun platform where they guy admits to taking a few hundred odd bass to be sold on. Theres another episode where a guy fishing mullet at a sewer outlet says he sells them on to the chinese takeaway (YUK). In fairness these programs are 10 years old and attitudes have changed alot since then.

Donagh

Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:23 pm

One of the Guests wrote:and it was returned - by the way i feel that if an angler wants to keep a fish, then it is better to keep a small one i.e. a bass of 2 or 3 pounds rather than one of 10 lbs. the reason being that these big fish are the ones who spawn

Same topic get a lot of attention on the Letters page of 'She Dangler'.

Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:23 pm

Always use 45cm myself. Truth be told if it's close it goes back. The Thames.. that's were it was. I knew it was old alright but I couldn't believe the joking about the fish as the boat came over to inspect the fish.... Wierd to see such a show on air today given the C&R policy these times. Funny how times have changes over the last decade. Then again maybe they haven't so much as there was the story of the guy on Red Rock in Sutton, Dublin last year taking 5 undersize bass infront of an angler on this forum and not giving a shite about it either. Hopefully just a one off eejit.

Kev