seafield

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:11 pm

i went for a bit of a drive lastnight and ended up on the pier at seafield near quilty,it was bottom of the tide and the place just looked as 'fishy' as any place as i've ever seen. anyone heard of reports from ther lately?

Seafield

Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:24 pm

Hi Frodo

Seafield is a known mark but it is more properly famous as a lug digging spot - the black sand seems to generate really good lugworm beds everywhere in Ireland. The following is the official Shannon Fisheries entry for the mark: -

Angling Mark

Seafield Pier is 2.5 kms south west of Quilty. It offers easy access and plenty of parking at the head of the main beach. The more popular fishing mark is the surf beach on the southern side which has rocky outcrops at the northern end. The main target species here are flounder and bass and the flooding tide using lugworm, ragworm and fish bait produce the best results. Anglers can also fish on the more sheltered northern side and again it fishes best in moderate surf conditions. Some flounder have also been taken at high water from the pier.

Bait

Bait can be obtained here at Seafield. There is plenty of parking spaces in this area and access is easy. Bait digging for lugworm and some small ragworm is 150 meters to the left of the pier. Low water and the first 2.5 hours of the flood tide is the ideal times.

HTH...

Seafield

Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:02 pm

Kieran,

Armed with the printout from the Shannon fisheries website just as you pasted in below, I headed for Seafield recently to dig some lug. I searched around the pier at low tide and then headed out beyond the buildings and towards what I understood to be the left side but found no lug. After about an hour I gave up and just used the frozen bait I had brought with me.

Talking to a local later in the day I asked him about digging lug at seafield. He told me to go right and beyond the rocks at the end of the pier. Can you or anyone else verify of this is the correct spot? :?:

Rgds,
Sean.

Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:15 pm

Hi Sean365

The only place that I ever dug around quilty was up near Quilty inself, back in the days of raw sweage discharges directly into the sea and ragworm the size of snakes as a consequence. Long since gone, but probably no harm there!

Afraid I can not help you in respect of digging lugworm there... in the last decade... tried my local spot and the stream was in spate and has washed away all the casts... even if the worms are still there! :cry: :wink:

Maybe some of the Clare or Limerick lads will come to the rescue...

Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:42 pm

Lo All,
The rocks at the end of the pier in Seafield are indeed the place to dig. Saw guys there last summer at it and they dug up a fair amount of worms.

Eoin

Seafield

Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:59 pm

Cheers Eoin,
Fishing time is precious enough without walking around in circles looking for bait that isnt there.

Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:33 pm

Just a word of warning lug can be alot tougher to dig for in the winter with casts being washed away and the lug being less active and not producing casts as quickly. I've found the bait guides in the shannon FB site good enough but the marks page is only a rough guide that isn't always correct probably due to being based all very old information.

Donagh