Angling Show this weekend

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:18 pm

Hi Guys,
Who's going to the show this weekend?
Anyone know what times the different workshops are on?
Is the SAC going to have a little meet??
JK

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:22 pm

Im heading up and hopefully will get to see the casting exhibition.........

Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:29 am

I'm fishing on Saturday, so will be there on Sunday. Most likely to go in the afternoon unless I get too impatient!

Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:47 am

am hoping to go on sunday but am wondering is it really worth driving from galway to dublin for a couple of hours

nige

Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:07 am

Dont know about that Nige, depends on whether you're going to spend a few quid, then i would say yes drive over, but if its just to have a nose around and you're not bothered too much about it, then i would say leave it....but, tis up to yourself :wink: .

What I would say to people going is to make out a list of stuff you need to get. I'm going to get a spinning rod and reel, tripod, new jacket...amongst other stuff. Make your list out and get prices (a couple of prices for each bit of gear) on the net, dont forget if you get sterling prices from any site, convert it to euro....otherwise everything will seem way overpriced when you go to the show. When you get your prices sorted, work out an average and aim to get the gear for in or around that price. Its better to go in there and get what you need rather than be dazzled by apparent bargains on stuff you dont want or need.
In saying all this, i'll probably get nothing i want and come out with a fly rod! :lol:

Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:59 am

there are worse things u could come out with Wes!!!

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:44 pm

True enough.
Didnt mean to offend anyone by the way, im just a sea man through and through so a fly rod would be like handing Tiger Woods a Hurl and Sliotar, he'd have an idea what to do with them, but it wouldnt be his thing. :wink:

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:01 pm

Wes,

Are you after any particular spinning outfit?

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:06 pm

Don't leave it too late on Sunday ID. They normally start putting stuff away at about 4:30 or so.

Kev

Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:02 pm

I duinno Adrian, I was thinking along the lines of an abu Suveran and I spotted a nice Okuma Amazonium on veals.
Any other suggestions?

Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:27 pm

Wes,

You're asking me :shock: . Looking out for a spinning rod myself at the moment, wouldn't have minded going up to the show but no time. If I was going to get another reel it would be one of the OKUMA 50 models i.e Inspira 55 (If I could spare the cash), Avenger 50, Amazonium AM50, Zircon 50 or FINA FI60, something around that size would be ideal, The Amazonium or Zircon have the advantage of having 2 spare spools, Is that why you're aming at that particular one?. As for a rod, I reckon I'd have to get my hands on before purchase. Let us know how you get on.

Oh, Personally I'm dot fussed if it's front or rear drag, everyone seems to have preferences.

Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:40 pm

Wes,

i just noticed the Zircon has a lot more barings for £5 more (Based on UK RRP). Kieran mentioned that he got one, he found that the bale arm was clipping his fingers if he held the rod at the reel seat (I think that's what he said). Maybe he could advise you regarding that particular model.

Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:43 pm

Yeah the two spare spools are nice, only thing is they're plastic. The reel has front drag and 6 barings. I dont mind front drag, but rear is better. I'll let you know how it goes!

Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:01 pm

Wes,

There is a rear drag version as well:
http://www.svendsen-sports.com/
Sorry can't copy full link,
click on Okuma then Fixed spool reels in the Spinning section,