Rod repairs

Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:23 pm

Recently broke three rings on my rod :x Just wondering were the best place to take it for repair would be and how much it would cost

Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:35 am

got mine done in mikes bikes in dunlaoghaire, i think cost about 18 euro for a full set on a boat rod. waited a month mind u for them to do it

Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:40 am

bonds tackle limerick

rods

Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:19 pm

tes my rings broke a while ago 20euro for a full set of fugi rings on a 12ft rod in abc off caple st 17a st marys abbey

Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:39 pm

Hi JohnnyM I have previously, had rods repaired by 'Southside Angling' done ready for next day, and quite cheap, if its local. :lol:

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:23 am

Best to ring around a few places. Some tackle shops charge a fortune, others are relatively cheap.

Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:02 pm

Thanks for the help all. 20 euro is good for fuji rings i always got the impression they would be quite dear. southside angling is actually local, I only live down the road from it, so I think I'll try there.

Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:15 pm

Hi Jonny,
Why don't you have a go at doing it yourself?I have re-rung a couple of rods and found it to be reasonably easy.Once you've whipped the first one on and learnt the technique the rest fall into place quite quickly.
There's a lot of satisfaction to be had from doing it yourself.
There's also plenty of sites on the net offering advice and info on how to do it.

Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:13 pm

It's a good idea shockleader and it would be quite satisfying knowing i'd done it myself but I would be just to afraid I'd make an a*se of it. I have an issue of total sea fishing where it shows you how to build a rod and it looks handy enough but I'm sure it's more difficult in practise.

Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:26 pm

Go on,try it.You may be surprised how good a job you can do.
As long as you're not starting with a bare blank,where you have to find the spine and mark the ring line and measure spacings etc.
Just remove one ring and replace it before going on to the next and you can't go wrong.
And if it does go wrong you can always go fishing in the dark and no one will ever notice. :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:34 pm

I would like to give it a go but if you make a mistake is it reversible? It's an expensive rod and I'd hate to make a balls of it.

Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:02 pm

Just be careful when cutting the old whipping off.Use a very sharp blade.
A new Stanley blade or better still,a scalpel are both ideal.
Then when you've finished the new whipping you can assess how it looks before varnishing it.If it's not to your standard,then just remove it ,and all you've wasted is a couple of feet of silk.
It's entirely a personal choice of finish,but i found the Gibbs high build varnish makes for a good finish.
PS.
Why don't you practice on a piece of Bamboo about the same thickness as the rod and this will give you a good idea as to how it might look.

Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:06 am

What materials do I need? I have a couple of rods that need repairing.

Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:19 pm

You will need the appropriate size and style of rings.
A spool of whipping silk in the colour of your choice.
Varnish,either the standard one where two or three coats will be needed,or the two pack high build one,where one coat is normally enough.
A scalpel or very sharp craft knife is needed.
Practice on a piece of cane and most of all don't rush it.

thanks

Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:23 pm

thanks Shockleader!! another fishing related thing to keep me occupied in the evenings. She is gonna love this