plugs for bass

Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:11 pm

I got a wee 8ft casting weight 20-40g. spinning rod. Being new to all things in the sea. I would like to try bass in the summer what weight plugs should i use and can use with this rod. i got some very light ones with it but you cant cast them very much.

Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:02 pm

Pookie,
I have the full range of Yo-Zuri Bass Lures. Give me a shout if you want some
JK

Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:29 am

there are loads around and u dont need as many as ppl tend to have. u could get away with a deep diver, somthing like the new eddystone ones, a shallow diver like a storm thunderstick and a popper like the chug bug. that will c u right to start with. You cant really cast too far with plugs as a rule nor do you have to usually but braid will increase your distance.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:02 pm

I think Liam covered everything Pookie. If you have a longer spinning rod it might be a little easier to get better distance with some of the lighter plugs.

Let us know how you get on,

Kev

Plugs for bass

Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:33 pm

If you only had two patterns to choose from for plug fishing -Thundersticks and double jointed rapala j13's in blue would do. Both patterns are excellent,though thundersticks arent made any more
Kev

Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:39 pm

i think the thundersticks still are made its the jointed ones that arnt made anymore.
now pookie this is where u should tune out, because now no doubt we will get into the ins and outs of everyones fav plugs, contradicting and complaining and generally confusing everyone!!!!!1 :D

plugs for bass

Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:12 pm

Sorry-Thought the thread was titled plugs for bass

Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:12 pm

sorry kev wasnt meaning to have a go. but u know the way we somtimes get on here and loose track of the original point. at the end of the day if u r looking to start plugging get a tried and tested plug and spend a bit of time on the water and that will teach u quicker than anything else. all the techniqual stuff can wait till u have a few fish under ur belt

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:29 am

Get one floating plug (dives to max 6-8 feet), a surface popper (excellentl for very shallow ground), and a deep diver for deeper water. If you are after distance try something like the bass bullet which comes in weights up to 60 grammes. They come in handy when you are trying for extra distance (on a surf beach for instance).

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:22 am

White kilty catcher or dexter wedge will do the job if their after sand eel. You don't have spend your life saving on plugs to get started.

Donagh

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:33 am

i have found in the last yr r so that for me plugs work out cheaper in that i was a whore for losing spinners and i have plugs i use the whole time and havnt lost them in 2 yrs

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:11 am

That really depends where you use them. I've used them over rough ground with just enough water and had zero tackle losses. When its windy there much easier to cast acurately. I only use plugs now where the water is very shallow.

Donagh

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:49 pm

ron thompson bass buster popper. weighty enough for a good cast, but floats - like most well behaved poppers !!

Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:02 pm

I have loads of plugs and have to admit to "having" to have the next great plug. If I were only allowed one plug it would be the Storm Thunderstick. The older jointed version that are now as rare as hens teeth :? This is in my opinion one of the longest casting jointed plugs out there. It dives to about 18 inches and has taken about 70% of all my Bass. Want to see some Hens teeth...... :roll: If you are at the Angling show this weekend go to the Henrys Tackle Shop stand. He managed to secure what he reckons is some of the last jointed thunder sticks left. He imported a huge amount of them last year and they have been selling fast all over Europe since. I think he has some left. He has Firetiger and Spotted Trout. Both excellent Bass plugs. Firetiger is excellent at first light or before and Spotted Trout can be used anytime during the day.

Now as for the rest of my plugs. Personally the J13 dives too deep for my liking but I do use it when fishing deeper water. I linke the J11 and the J9. These are light and hard to cast in a strong breeze but can be deadly. The dive to about 4 feet. I like the Kilty as well but only use it around high water as I am sick of leaving them in rocks. Poppers have there uses as well and can be excellent on their day.

I have more but I don't want to kill my fingers typing.

Kev

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:06 pm

I have to say, MAC, I find the Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnow in silver blue, the best there is. But there again, horses for courses.
If you have confidence in a lure or brand you will stick to it I find.

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:08 pm

I also like th yo-zuri. I wouldn'nt be without one as the sun sets. For me that is there best time. I've caught my second heaviest Bass on a Yo-Zuri Mag minnow black and silver.

Kev

Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:26 pm

Special offers on the banana boats to all SAC members. I'll put the link up tonight!!!!