Can anyone advise me please?

Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:09 pm

Hello fellow Conservationist anglers,

One of my friends and I are hoping to go down to Wexford for a couple of days near the end of February. Does anyone know what species to expect, what baits to use and what tides to fish? Thanks in advance.

John D
Please put fish back - even the big ones !!!! :idea:

Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:29 pm

Ahoy Matey!!!!! Alot of Smoothies down in Wex at the mo, and nay the fruity type :D . I hear its not doing to good at the mo though, all along the coast is relatively quiet. Best of luck, skipper, ship ahoy!!!!! :D

Many Thanks Codswallop!!

Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:49 pm

Thanks Codswallop. What's the best bait for smoothhound? Any particular place in Wexford? I usually fish with a fixed spool reel on a 12ft. beachcaster with 20lb line and a 40lb leader. Will this do? :?:

Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:21 pm

I think codswallop may be telling you a load of codswallop. Smoothies are a summer species and will definatley not be around at this time of year. Your best bet is to keep an eye on the venue page of the Kilmore SAC website or email them as they are helpful about advice on marks etc.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~beach/kilmore/kilmore.htm[/url]

Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:23 pm

Sorry something wrong with that link.

[url]http://homepage.eircom.net/~beach/kilmore/kilmore.htm[/url]

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:19 am

Thanks very much for your feedback guest. I will get on to the Kilmore SAC and see if they have any advice for me. :D

Attention Codswallop!!!

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:21 am

By the way Codswallop, what did you mean by nay the fruity type?
Regards,
John D :?:

Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:16 am

Ahoy Mateys!!!!!
Guest???????? I think you'll find Smoothies, can be caught in early spring( AS PROVED BY A 34cm Catch in a Compeition in Kilgorman, recently). :x
John, nay the fruity type is not the fruit filled delicious drink the Amercians drink. Ah well Skipper, me thinks that one was wasted on you! Good luck with the smoothies!

Cheers Codswollop

Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:26 am

Cheers Codswollop,
I hope I can prove that smoothies (big ones) can be caught in Spring.
John D :shock:

Smoothies

Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:42 am

Hi JohnD

The best bait for smoothhounds is peeler crab, typically loaded on a 2/0 often on a pennel rig. Clip it down and bang it out. Better in darkness or near darkness on a flooding tide. They often hunt in packs so you need to get your rig out into the water quickly after the initial hook up. You will find that there is often frantic activity for half an hour and then nada...

There was a small one caught in Kilgorman according to a post by Brian Cooke here, so enough said, although as indicated they are thought of as a late spring early summer species. That said the sheer number of them being caught in the SE in recent years, from the shore, would seem to indicate a far larger and possibly breeding population there.

Feb is a dead month fishing, even the flounder are off spawning so you will do well. It tends to pick up rapidly from March onwards....

FWIW

Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:13 pm

Thanks for the advice Kieran.
John D
:)