squid for huss?

Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:41 pm

i was just wondering is squid any good as a shore bait for huss and conger? i intend to fish it whole on a pennel, but would i be better off with mackerel? by the way i'm fishing the shannon on the clare side.

Squid for Conger & Huss

Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:51 pm

Squid is definately a good bait for conger. Peel off the outer skin to improve visibility. I read somewhere here that stuffing the squid with mackerel and add some pilchard oil improves your chances further. I suppose its a combo of visibility and scent!

Not sure how good it is for huss.

Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:59 pm

cool, i noticed your address is clare. any marks worth recommending? i was told the point beyond cappagh where the curraghs are, is worth a lash

Squid for Conger & Huss

Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:17 pm

I have found cappa pier most successful. I have not fished where the curraghs are. How deep is it as the deep water seems to suit the conger best?
Around the pier at kilimer is supposed to be fairly good and is definately a spot I must try.
I have caught a couple up in Ballyreen as well. I am only at the sea fishing 4 months so I am only getting to know the marks myself.

Aylvaroo Point

Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:38 pm

The point just past where the curraghs are is full of strap conger, so Im guessing there have to be some proper ones as well. However, for night fishing , piers are more comfortable. By the way, Dave_B released a big conger (20+ we reckoned) at the side of cappa pier. Just a bit too big to get up the side of the pier
Kev

Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:58 pm

i have no idea of depth there, just been told there there's loads of straps, and a fair amount of huss. might give it a lash tonight, or atleast sometime this week....i'm sick of cappa, out of the past 4 times i've fished it i'e had next to nothing

Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:23 pm

I would be interested to know how you get on!

Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:28 pm

The curragh mark in cappagh does produce good conger in summer anyway. Theres strong rip there and you need cast out into the channel.

Donagh

Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:30 pm

and just how far would that have to be?!

Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:28 pm

150 Yds

Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:26 pm

i can't count that high, nevermind cast that far....on the plus side cappa was alive with smallwhiting last night, nothing but sandeel, turned there nose up at everything else

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:18 am

No its more like 250 yards out :lol:

Only joking a good overhead tump will get you there.
Last edited by Donagh on Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:49 pm

man i checked out the point last night at the bottom of the tide, there seems to be a fair head of water pushing through close tto the curraghs while further out the water seemed slacker, and dead in places, so i guess i'm aiming to have my bait in the main head of water ehich is close in? i'm confused, 150 yards, 250 yards...who's tellin porky pies?! there's not a hope of me makin it beyond the hundred yard mark with a decent sized bait

Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:45 pm

Just lob it out with a lump of peeler or fish bait and watch your rod till it goes slack and reel in your first shannon estuary cod it worked for me..........

Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:00 pm

nice one! how long ago was that?

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:30 pm

It was a few years ago but im sure they are still there but nobody fishes for them much in the estuary.
It would be handy to use two rods each one with different baits and fish at a distance with one out in the channel and other around 70-80 yards out.
Cast up tide meaning the opposite direction of the tide as the current is fairly strong and also use a grip lead do you know the small wall near the currach well as you stand facing the island across the water the best place to fish is between 10 and 20 meters to the left of the wall.

Best of luck !

squeed for huss

Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:56 am

On the subject of squid for huss I woudl recommend it any day, even over fresh mackeral becasue of its toughniess and anti-doggy qualities. While not completely anti-doggy it does have the advantage that the mongs can complete their lunch and leave enuff for the Huss.....

In he summer it is also crab resitance as well . The way we have best and someone alluded to this is to fill them with minced mackeral (especially the bloody bits , head mainly) and wrap them up like squid-sausages. The trick being to fill them with blood .....you are fishing for sharks after all ! thats why the flesh looks the best bit but its all teh other bits that seem to do the work !

Once you have whippied them up they are much easier to hook and ...very aerodynamic, well as far as aerodynamic goes for squid! and yes you will need big hooks in pennell stylee.

We have used this method down Ring of Kerry of way and have caught many huss to double figures so it does work ......good luck