Braid on a multiplier.

Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:11 pm

Previously, I had read and been told that multipliers and braid are a no-no and that horrendous birdies would explode on the reel without any invitation. After seeing Donal Domeney in action with braid on his ABU, I was impressed with how much like mono it was in casting and then amazed at the bite detection at 150+ yards.

Just for fun, I got some Berkeley Whiplash Pro and loaded it on a spare SL20SH and used it at the weekend. No trouble at all, but it does sound a bit coarse as you reel in. I've heard that the Power Pro Spectra is the way to go, so I've ordered some of that from the States.

Any of you guys using it?

Braid on a multiplier

Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:19 pm

Hi Ian

Braid is more "dangerous" on a multiplier due to its tendancy to birdsnest especially fi you forget to thumb the spool when the lead hits the water. As such it is definitely not a good idea at night unless it is dead calm and quiet.

Having converted to multipliers only recently I was warned off using braid until I had the mono casting sorted. The significant benefits are length of cast and bite detection however it depends on the braid used (Powerpro is superb IMHO and I would not use anything else) and the mark as braids can show wear and tear (fraying) quickly on rock marks.

I think that the best summary is that braid on multipliers is not for beginners...

FWIW

Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:14 pm

Wouldnt advise unless your handy with a multiplyer i heard the yellow berkly fireline which has a kinda mono like coating is good for the multiplyer reels as the other traditional type stuff is a curse to free from a frap up as in a birds nest@@@@@@@...................

Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:05 pm

I love my Fireline. Smoke/Grey in 20lb breaking strain, loaded on my Morrums. Usually use it downtiding, but on occasion I've given it a chuck uptide. It works, but you've gotta pay attention.

Nothing worse than a braid birdsnest! :D

braid on multipliers

Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:38 pm

While the likes of Donal have been useing braid for distance casting for a fair few years, I would advise a novice to be carefull. I have a reel loaded with braid for venues like the wall where the tide race is fierce, but I have noticed that if you get caught up in rafts of weed which is common on the wall your braid will compact making the next cast a hazard.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:20 pm

When the starts to get too fast I'am gone home, de wall is a desaster on big tides too many crossed lines.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:45 pm

Thanks guys. I've been using the multi's for over a year now with a SL20SH, a SL30SH and my favourite Mag 525. The SL20SH is running on Red Rocket Fuel and was set up with red blocks to slow it down a bit, but I think it's a bit too slow now. The Mag leaves it standing, so I've swapped the red blocks for the clear to speed it up a wee bit - hopefully not too much.

The Pro will go on the Mag as there is more control. The Super Mag is looking tempting tho.

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:13 am

how about swapping the two boat reels for another mag. Do you realy need reels with that pulling power for the east coast. Once landed a blue shark, over the 100lb mark, using a abu elite and 33lb braid. It took over an hour to get it to the side of the boat it was the best hour ever spent.