when to change line?

Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:55 pm

hi all
have my red ice 35lb on since christmas last yr should i change it it seems to be frayed alot can you people help me please :?

Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:03 pm

definitely! a good rule i find is change it every six months if you're fishin twicw a week or more. but as soon as the line seems damaged at all it's best to hange it. murphys law dictates that it'll go when you're playing out that new irish record!

Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:11 pm

frodo baggins wrote:..... murphys law dictates that it'll go when you're playing out that new irish record!

Surely that should read "Middle Earth" record? :D

Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:16 pm

good quality line like red ice needs a changing every couple of months for the higher strains like 35lb but more often in the lower - say 15 - 20 lb .
i presume your fishing dirty ground cause thats a heavy line your using, but over the past year corrosion off the salt, and ruuning against rocks and kelp would all have taken its toll and yourself being a howth rock mark reg -i think, you wouldnt stand much of getting a decent cod up the cliff on that frayed line, change it or you could lose the cod of a lifetime

line

Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:05 pm

thank you lads im fishing rough ground its extremly snaggy but excellent fishing will change it now in an hour after dinner :lol:

Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:30 am

I change the last 150 m of line fairly often - usually because it snaps after snagging - if I have to replace the shockleader, and usually a few dozen yards of line, I change the whole last 150 anyway.