any tips?

Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:45 pm

hey , i'm pretty much a newbie to the sea fishing lark(i'm a coarse angler at heart), but i've landed a job at moneypoint in co. clare, and was just wondering if any one knew of any local spots that were fishing well recently, the net is only giving me dated reports, and the stories i'm being told by the locals don't sound too credible, so it would be great if anyone knew anything. i've spent the past two weeks on cappagh pier with a smattering of bits, and i'm startin to miss my 1lb hooklenghts, and 1.5gram pole floats.

Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:18 pm

Hi Guest,

I thought the clare lakes had plenty of coarse action on them but then what do I know. If you check my posts I've passed much of my limited knowledge on. Should be plenty of whiting around at this time of year as well. Best information always comes from locals. What are the stories that aren't credible?

Donagh

Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:31 pm

when i mean locals i mean the late night dog walkers! stories like the double figure bass/cod taken from exactly where you're standin just last week...the usual....i have been siftin through your older posts there, and found tonnes on around kilkee. lookin forward to hittin a few more spots over the coming weeks, but i'm staying in tonight, just sittin the office lookin out at the estuary, it's blown a gale straight up the estuary. by the way, the whiting just don't seem to be around. i've done 5 nights at cappagh with frozen peeler,sandeel, squid and herring, with only 2 small whiting, and a doggie.(i have a suspision the bait isn't great though, awful mushy by the time you've lashed on the knicker elastic) i'm lookin forward to april though, heard loads of reports of the ray bonanza had last year at poulnasherry(excuse the spelling)

Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:54 pm

Whiting aren't renowned for being picky about bait quality. Small piece of mackerel or an inch of sand eel should do the trick. 3 small hook Snoods trapped with rig tubing is great for whiting pier fishing. Move the snoods up a long mainline until you hit the feeding level. Thats what I do anyways.

Donagh

Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:28 am

ah! that's a clever idea! i never thought of moving the snoods up the line to rearch out different depths! ye sea anglers are a clever bunch

Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:49 am

Guest,

If after whiting try spraying the bait with WD40, apparantly it works for sharks too :shock: But it will probably put off anything else.