Irish Angler - march

Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:50 pm

Got the irish angler today must admit in my opinion its the worst since the start of the mag.
1) i was looking forward to the article on the bass in wexford which we were told would be in this months mag but that didnt materialise .

2) then i saw the article on the kilmore comp which happened last NOV
lads, who wants to hear about a comp from 3 months ago?

3) Then theres jim and seans article on the ballans and blondes, well half an article the first 3 pages were about installing and maintaining an echo sounder, which was a bit strange i thaught, plus it must be the 4th or 5th time in the 10 or 11 issues so far that they fished in cork harbour, surely in a nationwide mag in a nation surrounded by water there must be somewhere else to report about.

by the way dont take it to heart anybody whos involved please. these are just my opinions. others probably thaught it was there favourite issue.

on the other hand the game fishing articles were up to there usual top class standard.

Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:56 pm

No Doubt the Editor would be interested in our input into this sort of situation, Possibly, because this is the first year of the magazine they havent had much contribution on fishing in Feb/March/Apr and therefore have to cover there sea fishing tracks with an article about November, My personal belief is give it til this time next year so they can start to put relevant information in at the relevant time of year.

I was going to be writting an article on my local area in Winter, which if it was good enough Roger said would make the may edition, However, stepping back and looking at it, I think an article on winter fishing, should now be left until a Sept/Oct/Nov edition.

Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:44 am

if you look at big magazines such as sea angler, you will also see that articles on competitions appear a couple of months after it has taken place... you cant just expect them to write the article and lash it down. each edition will probably have been written a month or two before it actually comes out

irish angler

Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:12 pm

thought the cork harbour article was excellent, for the reason that it was full of solid, practical advice for boat owners about winter storage and care of gear, as well as the echo sounder, as well as a nicely evocative fishing story.
I actually put it down thinking that jim was really getting the hang of this writing lark... (although for all I know he may have been at it for years)
I am not by the way a boat owner or in the market for a new echo sounder, nor am ever likely to be, but enjoyed the article.

I am no relation of the clohessys either, by the way... :lol:

not so impressed however with the saltwater fly fishing one, which seemed to be far too similar to the previous one in the series in terms of information.

and that's a good questions lampoon - what did happen to the wexford bass?