salmon stocks

Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:01 pm

well there are 2 issues as far as i can c. first there wont b jobs for anyone if the drift nets continue. fine people are employed but who cares, it is a relatively small number of ppl and at present there are loads of jobs available for them.
secondly and more worryingly there is the issue of salmon farms. i was doing some research with work recently on aquaculture. the lice are a bit of a problem alright but more worryingly for salmon is the fact that escapees are breeding with wild stocks and these hybreds when they breed themselves have a huge mortality rate, which given a few generations could literaly wipe out the salmon population outright. to put it in context SQS(aquaculture assiotion) told me themselves that 1 million salmon escaped during the bad storm in Janurary in scotland. thats a lot of horny salmon that will be going up the rivers!

Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:48 pm

You are right about the 1 million escapees in scotland [url]http://www.anglingnews.net/rep_detail.asp?ID=3251[/url] what a mess!
Thats the mrs told now 'dont bring back any more of that supermarket salmon' especially after reading this [url]http://www.salmonfarmmonitor.org/documents/questions.html[/url]
shall just have to try harder this year to catch one of the remaining wild ones!

Sean,

Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:52 pm

Hi Sean,
It is desperate alright. How did our cages fare during the recent gales?
Would we even find out!
I like the idea of the email addresses for all the newspapers, politicians, govt depts etc - maybe we could do up something like that and highlight issues as they arise.
every TD getting a lot of mails concerning illegal bass netting might annoy them enough to do something. AND any TD or Senator worth his salt will always reply and send a few letters to relevant depts, Gardai etc.
What do people think?
MAC, Is this something the SAC might think of?
JK

Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:05 am

we have had this bass thing before. its up to us, if we see somthing dodgy call the bailif, have the number of ur local one in ur fone like i do and call him. if he dosnt do anything about it report him!