Penn V3

Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:10 am

AHA I knew I had something to ask!
I was giving a good clean of my reels and rods last night when I remembered I was having a spot of bother with the rod when I was out on Saturday gone. Its a 3 piece rod and the butt and mid section seemed a little stiff, i got them to join in the end and used it very happily for the first time. Was packing up and couldnt separate those two pieces, gave it some WD40 and it still didnt budge. Got home, put some more on and let it settle in.....tried later, and still no movement. I'm stuck lads, or should I say, ITS stuck lads.......any ideas?
Two of us tried to pull them apart, but not a hope.
Help :cry:

seperating rod ends

Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:42 am

Hi Wes

Were you using a twisting action when trying to seperate the ends?
At the risk of stating the perfectly obvious, It is essential that you keep both pieces perfectly straight, as any bend will lock them in place.

It may be that there is some grit in there (sand is the usual culprit) which is grinding into the butt section almost locking it into place. WD40 will do no good in that case, its down to brute force and ignorance...

I know a guy who in desperation draped a towel soaked in boiling water over the joint in his own rod in an effort to get the section to expand but whilst he said it worked, I noticed that the next time we fished, the bindings were beginning to show through the varnish at that joint (and he has weakened a ring) so I would not recommend it.

Except if you have no alternatives....

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:11 pm

Try taking off the but cap from the bottom of the rod as this sometimes causes suction and its almost impossible to take apart.
The same thing happened with a century rod with me and when I took off the but cap it was much easier to take apart.

Good Luck !

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:22 pm

Usually, if you have two people with dry hands and a clean rod with no oil on the surface, stand opposite to each other with a rod section each. hold as close to the joint as possible and try and twist the rod in opposite directions.

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:35 pm

Cheers lads.
Hands were at the joint alright, so there was no bending of the sections. there was a lot of brute force involved, both of us with our weight behind each section, and neither of us are small.
The possible suction sounds reasonable, Neilus, I'll give it a bash.

Freezer spray

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:04 pm

If all else fails, try warming the female part with a hair drier, and then spray the male part with some plumbers freezer spray, then pull. Hard.

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:07 pm

.... I'd advise against spraying your male part with anyone's freezer spray , never mind the plumber's ! :shock:

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:11 pm

Well, in the absence of any brass monkeys.....It might separate the rod!

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:21 pm

.... :D

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:26 pm

I'd be afraid the hairdryer would give rise to cracking on the joint, somewhere you dont want to have any troubles, especially with a 3 piece.
Thanks for the suggestion, though.

rods

Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:50 pm

yes this happend me a while ago wiyh shakespeare rod dp what id peral says namely 2 peolple twist in oppisite directions should work

Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:32 am

Well, I cant imagine why the joint should crack, but as I said, if all else fails...[/quote]

Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:35 am

If you do manage to seperate the rod, rub some candle wax onto the joint to stop it happening again.

Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:41 am

No joy, still stuck.
Dont know what else to do.

Might email Penn?

Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:46 pm

See if this helps any....
http://www.stripersonline.com/cgi-bin/u ... 002929;p=0

Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:50 pm

Cheers Ian, I'll try that this evening.
I emailed Penn, who were fantastically helpful, I know have the contact details of the guy who designed the rod. Bravo Penn!