Shannon help

Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:22 pm

Hi,
My first post to this forum :D .
I am arranging a trip to Kilrush in October this year for 10 members of our Welsh Sea angling club.
We are planning on fishing the Cappagh (spelling) pier and Labasheeda area, Ray and Bull Huss ect.
Any information would be help full :) .
Best places for tackle and fresh Mackeral in the Kilrush area :?:

Rays & Bull Huss

Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:20 pm

Hi Wayne

Try using the search facility on the forum (its beside memberlist in the small heading at the top of the page) using Cappagh, Clare, Poutnasherry, Labasheeda and other key words and I am sure you will find lots to consider, aside from what people will post here. With 10 of you, you will not want for fish off the shore, and most of the marks are listed on the front page under the shore marks listing, albeit some of the maps are a bit rough and ready.

For fresh mackerel, spin off Dunlickey or the rocks around Kilkee on high tide. Failing that try the boats in Carrigaholt. Enjoy the trip...

Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:04 am

Hi Wayne,

From Kilrush, you head towards Kilkea, after about 8 miles there is a StatOil garage on your left. Pull in there and around the back of the garage there is a tackle shop that sells bait etc. They definitely do frozen mackerel amongst other frozen baits, but I think mackerel is the best bait from Cappagh pier. There is also a shop in Kilrush that sells tackle but doesn't do bait of any kind, I think its a hardware shop. In the summer the locals buy their fresh mackerel from a butcher on the main street in Kilrush, he also does frozen mackerel this time of year.

Hope thats of some help!

Bren

Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:09 am

Sorry, that should be spelled 'Kilkee', but I'm sure you wudda found it anyway! :D

Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:23 am

Fresh mackerel will be sold in the town of kilkee in the mornings. Pick out the best of it. The Tackle shop mentioned hasn't a great reputation with those that fish the area. Bridges of ross and dunlickey are only down the road and you should get enough mackerel at that time of year in a short session. Cappa fished well in october last year but there wouldn't be room for a large number of anglers. I would be flexible on mark choice and only chose the marks to fish depending on weather (go for the sheltered mark). Heres a list of most of the marks in the area:

http://www.shannonregiontourism.ie/deta ... erID=13650

Donagh

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:14 pm

Hi all,
An excellent forum keep up the good work :D , thanks for the informative replies you have posted.
Can anyone recommend the type of tackle for the area, with reguards to tide pull on tides on the 13th-16th oct.
Would the best rig's be the same as used in South Wales, for the Ray's, and Bull Huss, 3'0 pulley pennals or up and over rigs :?: .
How would you all rate the Ray & Huss fishing for this time of year :?: .

TIA Wayne

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:14 pm

Rigs sound about right but I up the snood strength to 50lbs to stop it being bitten through by straps and Its supposed to put the doggies off. For most of the marks most anglers use 20lb mono or a stronger braid due to mixed ground and most marks distance isn't important. I don't know if I'd recommend the estuary to visiting anglers as while it can fish well this more than often is not the case. Experienced anglers have noticed a dramatic decrease in the numbers of fish being caught in the last 5 years. This said good sessions can still be had if your at the right mark at the right time. Autumn is the best time of year to fish many of the marks in the estuary and the species mention should be available. If I were you I'd have sessions planned for the clare rock marks where you can target not only conger, ray and huss but at the same time go for wrasse, pollack and triggers and revert back to the estuary if gets to choppy. Tide tables are available here:

http://www.sfpc.ie/

Donagh

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:32 pm

Kilrush has a rough reputation. Kilkee would be better spot to stay in as it will have plenty of accomadation.

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:50 pm

Thanks Donagh

I am looking forward to the trip, but if like you say the fish numbers have decreased it would not be disimilar to South Wales fishing, BUT we'll have a good time on the Guinness :lol: :lol: .

Cod fishing this winter is Very slow in South Wales with only 4 being caught by myself up to 3lb, better than last year with none being caught by me :( :( . Have had Two Nice Ray's though as a bonus while fishing whole squid for the Cod, 1 Thornie of 9lb 8oz and 1 Small eyed of the same weight.

Came over 2years ago to Kilmore Quay, fishing was slow then also, only 2 Flounder in 2 days fishing on the strand to the right of the harbour and Bannow estuary.

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:57 pm

Thanks Quest

Was planning on staying at the Kilrush Creek Lodge as there is 10 of us.
Don't seem to find many places to stay where they can accommodate this number of anglers :( .

In which way do you mean Kilrush is rough :?: .

Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:37 am

Hi Wayne,

I hope I didn't put to much of a dampener on things. What I would say is have a look at doing some rock fishing as well if the water isn't to choppy. There are still plenty of ray in the estuary and labasheeda I'm told is still a good mark. Your coming for spring tides which are Ideal but there won't be room at high tide in labasheeda to swing a cat so fish it low tide. You probably have difficulting getting accomadation as they may think your stag pretending to be a fishing party. Kilkee should have loads of empty accomation. Get in contact with the tourist board to sort you out.

Donagh

Kilkee

Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:53 am

I have been to kilkee over the previous 2 years. Pleanty of varied marks close by, good pubs with friendly locals and Burkes Video and Tackle shop is probably the best in the region as the owner will spend the time to give you advice, and he himself seems to fish a lot.

Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:50 pm

Thanks all,
Great info, excellent :D