bait

Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:48 pm

anyone know why the bait is so expensive here??? came across it through some site and was absolutely amazed!! twenty ragworm for 16 quid?!! :shock:

http://www.corkharbourbaits.com

Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:56 pm

Deleted. Misread message.
Last edited by Donagh on Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:57 pm

Must be a mistake. I think he means €6.00 for 20 surely. That's how much they usually cost up here.

Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:43 pm

i dunno, even lug is 8 euros. and sandeels are a fiver a pack!! seems a bit expensive to me.

Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:56 pm

S'pose they're worth however much someone is willing to pay for them I guess. There were guys fishing at the weekend who would have given their teeth for some crab! Follow the chain through and it can cost a lot of money to get bait to sell. On a bad day, it can take an hour's digging to get 40 worms. If they're selling for €16 that's €16/hour for a lot of hard work. If he doen't have time to dig his own bait, because he's running the shop, he will have to pay someone else to dig the bait or buy it in. If the bait is scarce, the price will go up.

The alternative is to buy a fork, some wellies and a bucket and dig your own. Then you need the time, transport and knowledge. I used to dig my own bait last year, time has been harder to come by this year. If I take time off work to dig, I lose money. If it gets light at 8am, but the fishing starts at 6am, I need to buy bait! If I do get the chance to dig bait, it costs around €4 in fuel and €3.60 in tolls, plus a load of digging. Go figure!

Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:44 pm

yeah well i still cant see many people paying that for 20 rag unless they come packaged in a gold box. as for digging... 40 rag in an hour??? you need to find yourself a new spot! :lol:
as he is a professional digger he should have some decent spots - and if he doesnt then he shouldnt be in the business!

Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:25 pm

These are actually king rag that there seling these thing are like ******* snakes man there about a foot and a half long and an inch or so tick. great for bass. The lug are also great big fat worms not like the starved things you get in th shops up here and theres 20 - 25 eel in a pack