Connaught Sea Angling Ireland "meet"

Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:27 pm

Hi all

Anyone who is interested, we're going to have a bash at the mythical Mayo bass, and passing flatfish on Sunday 13th February 2005.

Big tide due full around 7-8 pm unless I am mistaken.

Location yet to be finalised and may depend on the weather but its likely to be one of the many beaches in or around Roonagh. I intend to fish the whole day, or as much as possible so anyone who is interested sign up here or drop me a line. Beaches can be quite shallow which is why I want to try them around low water. Emlagh is a possible location as it gives access to rock fishing as well. I have been told that the only bait worth bringing is large sandeel but worms will work well on the flatfish and any turbot available will take mackerel.

There are also reports of plaice (yes) from further down the coast, and they will only take worm baits or mussel in my experience (I stand to be corrected, I know some people say they will take sandeel too)....

Likely species would be flounder, dabs, small turbot, dogfish, possible bull huss, oh and the bass... in order of likelihood. There are a lot of sea trout in the region and possibly salmon but the season is not yet open, so any taken would HAVE to be returned.

If the weather is bad, we'll divert to Little Killary or somewhere similar which will afford some shelter. If its an easterly, we'll stay at home.

Tight lines.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:15 pm

Hi Kieran,
I'll ask my friend Phil what's being caught on the south side of Clew Bay. Him or his mates always know what's running.
What time are you thinking of going?. I may go along depends on. 1, The Wife. 2, The Weather. 3, Getting Monday off. 4, Getting the gear together. :!:. Well I'll try and get it all together.......

Do you have a jar in the Round Tower Bar?......(poetry). :?:

Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:21 pm

I might go but it depends on what day I get off work.am working sat and sunday but hoping to get one of them off.Galway Bay SAC are also holding a comp on the saturday and as I am a member and it being the very first comp I would like to go to it.But it all depends on that four letter word WORK!

Sunday

Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:00 am

I have been given a full day release and thus plan to fish ALL DAY :D

If the weather is in from the south west, and its not too bad, I figure Emlagh Beach or failing that the mouth of the river above Louisburgh

Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:52 am

Kieran,

I wont be able to make it this time as I am saving the holidays. I would be really interested in some Saturday in the future as I don't have to eat into the already scarce holidays.

Kev

Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:35 am

Kieran,

Can't make it either I will be in the states for work unortunately. Make sure you bring the digital camera this time though.

Donal.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:34 am

Kieran,
All going well I might try and make it down to say hello. Been meaning to try Portacloy or Cross for long time but anywhere in Mayo would be interesting, change of scenery.

Pete

Sunday "meet"

Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:46 am

Yes

Camera is coming this time so a blank is probably guaranteed! :lol:

I will leave it until later in the week to check on the weather etc. and then we can look at potential venues and meeting places for people who are up for it.

Thanks

Kieran

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:03 pm

Right gentlemen and ladies!

New reel being collected today. Checked NOAA weather forecast and Sunday shows light NW winds. High Tide is 9 am and 8 pm, low around 2 pm (that is for Clifden). Big tide 12-14 feet predicted. In a NW normally I would fish the northern side of Clew Bay for a bit of shelter but with an oncoming breeze perhaps the surf will be sufficient to tempt a bass (if they exist) into feeding?

Recommend we meet up in Louisburgh, if anyone else is interested. I will be fishing the whole day (from first light) but would recommend 1 pm for anyone who is travelling as that will give you 1 hour down and the full flood up. Might continue on into darkness as the light is going at around 6 pm these days...

RSVP

Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:45 am

LIGHT BREEZE!!!!!!!!!!! Got up looked out of the window saw the horizontal rain. Had a cup of tea. Stuck my head out of the front door rain had turned to HAIL.

I then returned to my COT.............. :!:

these soft people in the west of Ireland!

Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:30 am

Hi

yes, glorious conditions, force 8-10 due North, occassional shower of the horizontal variety, nothing to worry about really. Sixteen layers later the michelin man has decided to roll around a beach somewhere...

Session postponed. :cry: