new reel

Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:13 pm

Hi all

I am in the market (I've decided!) for a new reel and wondering whether to replace the old Mitchel spinning reel I have on my 10 foot spinning rod with a small multiplier, maybe one that I could transfer across to the beachcaster for very clean beach fishing? Anyone got any recommendations?

At this stage it is likely I will be loading it with braid as the majority of the work it will do is spinning, for bass (in Mayo, no seriously, don't laugh) and sea trout (mental note about buying the licence online now)...

RSVP

Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:39 pm

Kieran,

I've been using my Daiwa SL20SH and a Vulcan X rod for spinning lately and it is not as proficient as a spinning reel to be honest. If you are fishing light lures into a head wind, it will birdsnest too easily. Constantly having to give a reasonable line lay on the retrieve takes your attention away from what the plug is doing too. I've been OK with feathers and a 2oz weight, but when you get lighter, it's a bit of a pain really.

One thing about the braid on a multiplier, some folk don't advise it at all and have quickly taken the braid back off. Birdsnesting is even easier with that lovely expensive braid!

I'm looking for a spinning reel now instead. Wanna swap?

:lol:

new reel

Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:30 pm

Thanks Ian

Back to reviewing the tackle on the threads and looking for a good FS reel.
Still might give the braid a try on a FS reel, used it a bit for pike recently to good effect, although the water is so cold, the buggers just give up on you!

Anyone heard anything about Okuma reels, heard they were very good?

Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:32 pm

Kieran, Im not quite sure of its precise name atm, but my mate has a tiny 'Pfluger' Bait casting reel, Which runs for absolutely ages... I know its Shakespear, and at £100 its expensive, But its a good running, well finished reel. Left Hand Drive though...

Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:40 pm

Fella I fish with has a 6600 abu bought from kaymart in the states. Cost $80 and has mag brakes. The last day I was out with him he was casting small lure with no nests. It has a level wind but would still be Ideal for bass surf fishing when fishing with no shock leader.

Donagh

selection

Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:39 pm

For the record, any many thanks for the help, I have plumped for an Okuma Zircon 30 which is quite a small reel, but then I am forcing myself to load it with braid so it should have enough capacity for up to 200 m of 30 lb braid! It would be pressed to hold 150 m of 10 lb mono although there are 40 and 50 models which have much bigger line capacities.

I did like the look of the Axeon but it was 85 Sterling ex P&P, as opposed to the £29.78 I have paid to Mike's Tackle in Edinburgh. P&P at nearly 7 sterling was a little steep to my mind but it is a reel after all and I want it to get here in good nick. Never used Mikes Tackle before so I will let you know about the servioce and how the reel performs in a tackle review.

BTW, I checked most of the UK retailers and there was as much as 10 sterling difference in the price in that reel, and double that for the axeon. Once you decide on the reel, do a Google on it to check the prices...

Again thanks for the info on and off thread....

Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:13 pm

Kieran,

If you are going to use braid on the fixed spool my advice is that you get a braid with some "body" to it. The very limp lines (eg Penn Dynabraid) are a bu***r for getting wind knots. Power Pro is good. Also, Spiderwire Stealth looks good, although I haven't tried it. Some people swear by Fireline.

One other thing. If you are using lihht lures such as plugs then the line is inclined to go back onto the reel in loosish coils, which sometimes results in the most horrendous tangle when you cast. The cure is to reel the line i through thumb and forefinger every now and again to tighten the line on the spool.

Good luck.

Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:50 am

I'm using the Axeon, big lump of a reel but VERY smooth....12 barings, perfect line lay :D . Might be a bit much for your needs though.

braid

Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:15 am

Hi Hake, Wes

Thanks for the updates. I had planned on using Powerpro as I have an enormous spool of 30 lb braid somewhere, might seem like overkill but it is to thin relative to mono and some of the rocks around here...

Mental note taken on the loose coils, had the same problem piking before and anyhow always use a big leadhead into a wind, courtesy of Procast!

Tight lines

Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:22 pm

Now that you mention, it was suggested to me to try Spiderwire........any experience with it?