fishing lanzarote

Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:08 pm

off to lanzarote next week.anyone fishedther?wondering what to expect from the shore.any advice much appreciated.ps been fishing all round north antrim coast lately and nothing but 6 inch whiting.anyone having any better luck?

Lanzarote

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:01 pm

Hi Bignose

There are vast mullet (in terms of numbers and some in terms of size, well over 10 lbs) and severel types of thin ultra fast bream available in the harbours to bread, but check beforehand as there is a ban on fishing in some harbours! Fine 300 EUR if you are caught. Fish from off the rocks.

The locals use squid off the beach for small local flatfish called megrim and you can pick up shrimps and small blennies in the rockpools if you fancy tangling with the local sting rays. Whole squid and large plugs are used to target the barracuda. Fish early or late or at night for best results on an incoming tide. The 'cuda are taken at the mouths of the harbours off the rock armour and/or off promontaries into the sea nearing high water, especially if there is a decent current working its way around the point. A word of warning, barracuda can slice a finger off quite easily and even a small one will make an awful mess if you do not given them proper respect. Wire is essential and bass bullets would be ideal for distance casting. You have to really rip them in on the retrieve to get a follow...

Finally, the local scorpionfish are all poisonus, some very seriously so - if in doubt, bring a local with you (excellent tackle shop in the hipodrome market in Blanca near the airport, in the basement, mostly for the charter boats). Charters can taken you fishing for tuna, marlin, but big money...

FWIW...

IF you are staying in Puerto del Carmen, I have a contact for you. PM me.

PM

Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:37 pm

HI Bignose

Have encountered a technical difficulty in trying to answer your PM - will rty again later. Meanwhile search under "lanzarote" on http://www.anglersnet.co.uk and you will find lots of information on the topics of interest to you...

FWIW

fishes

Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:48 pm

when i was there in december 2003 i was snorkling alot and saw a fair few "blue runners" they're small but powerful fish, loads of mullet in the harbour of porta del carmen and have seen garfish been caught there, other than that i don't really know what else you'll get.. (girlfriend banned me from bringing fishing rods on holiday with me..)