Tackle shop rip-off

Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:45 pm

I know everyones probably sick of hearing the old 'rip off ireland' tune but I could'nt believe this. Saw a penn mag 525 for 250 euro in a well known Dublin tackle shop today( I wont name the shop, all I'll say is it starts with an R and rhymes with morys). The rrel is on veals for £99 ( 143 euro) and in the Penn catalogue for $180 (139 euro). How can Irish tackle shops continue to get away with such outragous rip offs.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:47 pm

A shop does have higher over heads than say a company like Veals so in some sense they have to charge more, but that does sound a little high i got the same reel with a rod for less than that in a tackle shop in Cork. I’m starting up an Irish online tackle shop at the moment, we should be able to offer better value than some tackle shops and be more convenient than ordering from the UK (or even further a field) in cheaper delivery and buying in Euro. Just need to get a few more wholesalers to see the sense of offering Irish anglers a choice and supply me with a bigger range of goods. Will keep you updated on the stores progress

Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:59 am

Sounds good to me. I know that if there was an irish online tackle shop with a decent shore angling range and good prices I would by most if not all of my gear off it as Irish tackle shops are just to expensive and it is a lot of hastle ordering gear from england.

Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:18 am

Veal sell the 525gsmag of £100 but the 525mag slidey is £115 which is a different again. I think they sell the super mag for around £125 and tmag is more again. Never take tackle shops prices at face value. The penn reels and rods are delibrately over priced so the combo deals look so good.

Donagh

rip off R^&ys

Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:38 am

This same tackle shop has the Mag elite for €250 which can be bought for £100 in veals. They also sell the 7000 C4 LD for €320 when you can buy it from the Devon Angling centre for €160!!! Even if they were buying this reel for the consumer price from the UK they are still making 100% profit! and you can be sure they are getting it cheaper from a wholesalers. I shun the place with venom! :twisted:

Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:56 pm

You all sound so surprised by this!
I have always found this place to charge way over the odds on pretty much everything.