a specimen question

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:33 am

I was fishing in Kilkee at the end of August, spinning and floating a bait for pollack and I caught my first Garfish - not very hard since it was my first season targeting any species from the shore other than Mackeral. Anyway having never seen one live (only in mags and on www etc.) before I took a good look and threw it back.

I was impressed with its strength as it fought like a fair sized pollack. The fish was well into 2 1/2 -3 lbs. When I checked this at home (this site) it seemed like this was probably a specimen. Do specimens have to be registered to take credit? Personaly I just wish I had a scales and my camera so I could have known for myself but normally would they be killed or what is the norm?

Thanks....

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:59 am

Hi Marno,

AS there are two different species of Garfish so they have to be killed and sent for Identification to get a medal. If you check the Irish trophy fish web site you can see the different conditions for getting a specimen medal.

Donagh

Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:04 pm

Thanks Donnagh, shame to kill a fish because as a lifelong liar I cannot be believed :lol:

Pity I didn't have a clue about the species, I just looked over to my brother in law and we decided it was ~ or just over 2.5 lbs and then released. I'd say it was the one fish that I had no clue what size was a good fish...ah well at least it wasn't the smaller Garfish (Belone svetovidovi), I would have decimated the Irish Record with nothing to show for it........