Online Sea Fishing Store

Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:38 pm

I’m currently looking at the feasibility of setting up a online store for sea fishing gear as I can't seem to find one based in Ireland. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on if it would work? The response from Wholesalers has been mixed, but I think there is a gap here.

Any opinions welcomed

Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:42 pm

All I know is that from previous efforts , it's pretty hard to set up an "online only" store , as big companies won't allow their stuff to be sold online only. Helps to have some kind of shop which you can work through.
We're currently in the process of opening a small warehouse which will allow us to sell well-known brands of sea fishing gear, but it defeats the purpose of being online by creating an overhead (which is why I went online to start with).

Best to get as much grant/govt aid as possible to soak up your rental prices etc. for your first year until you see how things are going.

Good luck !!

Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:48 pm

Thanks for the response. I'm coming up against some trouble finding sea fishing gear manufactures and wholesalers who will even discuss things with me from an online point of view. The additonal overheads of a shop would probably make things to costly and not give the needed low prices to the end users.

I'm keen to hear from anyone who currently shops online in the UK, would you prefer to buy from Ireland?

Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:54 pm

Same problems as a few people I've spoken to. Online sales seems to put suppliers off as . We make most of our own stuff, and sell stuff made by local suppliers, so this is a big help. If people know you it's a lot handier, whereas if you approach the big names, they see you as some bloke wanting to make a quick buck, and therefore it's not in their interest.

Try approaching local tackle dealers.

If you aren't in a rush, start small, and when you have a good enough track record and made a bit of a name for yourself, larger companies are at least prepared to listen to you - they might not sell you anything, but then again, they might.

Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:21 pm

U got a stall at the Exhibition in Belfast Conor??

Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:30 am

Yes

Procast will be at that one,,,,,had been speaking to Connor on phone and he give me the latest updates

Dave

ps will U B there???????

Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:18 pm

Aye, will be there in some shape or form. Did very little work over Xmas and was supposed to be flat out. Got too much into the Xmas spirit and was unfit to do much work. The next week should be fun.

Hopefully we'll see some of you there. Let me know who you are and I'll pass on a bit of discount for forum members!

Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:18 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Joy!!!!!

Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:48 am

Hi, I would be very interested in shopping from an Online Fishing Store. I am originally from the UK and find it very frustrating that there is nothing online in Ireland.

If suppliers are the problem then could you not set up an online store in conjunction with one of the fishing tackle shops in Ireland so they can supply you and you take all or a percentage of the profit on items sold online. :idea:

Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:46 pm

:idea: You can get Tackle from suppliers for an online shop, BUT you have to be a bonafide registered company.

I'm in the middle of the process now, VAT & Duty etc, etc,.
I'll let you know how I get on. :!:

Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:47 pm

Lads,
I'm also in the process of setting up an online store, and I have found that the Irish suppliers would rather sell to the established bricks and mortar tackle shops. Whilst this is commendable to a degree, the decision is driven by the shops - This cant be good for the consumer.
JK

Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:59 am

Hi jfk,
Irish wholesale suppliers are as bad as the retailers.
There's more than one-way of getting tackle. They're are hundreds of companies willing to supply gear.

But like I said you have to be a bonifide registered company. Having a web-site is also an advantage.

Oh and you also need to know who the companies are?.......... :D

Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:42 am

Particularly in Canada or the US. I just bought a brand new Berkley Spooling Station for US $19.52 on ebay. Even with P&P, that's only €24.37. Line's cheep too and they have all sorts of weird stuff there.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:26 pm

Yes there is definatly tackle companys who will supply but the main irish wholesalers (and i won't mention any names) seem reluctant. I wonder if anyone in these forums works for comapanys that will supply online stores?

I would be intrested in hearing from you if you do.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:16 pm

Hi Jack,
I went the whole hog and have the company setup for some time now. It was the only way I could get stock. But would you believe my very first order from Japan went AWOL in October, and with the language barriers, red tape etc no chance of refund or replacement. I have to put it down to experience!!! I'll use proper insurance next time!!!
I am only interested in some of the Yo-Zuri and Rapala plugs, as I have had so much hassle trying to get them for myself. The markups here and in the UK seem a little high so I'm trying to offer value for certain types that I myself use.
I am still waiting for my Web Hosting to go through so the website wont be up for a few weeks. Naivety again, I purchased my domain off the biggest player in the states and now they wont host .ie or .uk domains. Great.
I got this far, just for personal goals - Lucky that - cause I aint gonna make any money after all the setup costs!! ut I'll give it a lash, if nothing else I have a modest choice for when I get to go fishing!!
The URL will be http://www.basslures.co.uk if you want to check back in a few weeks!!
Cheers
John

Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:07 am

Yep i might have to agree with John on the money side but if we can offer a bit of choice and value for fellow anglers then its probably all worth while. Im also set-up and slowly working towards going live online. Also Jack if you are thinking of a .ie address they take a bit longer to set-up than .com or .co.uk and are more expensive to keep.

Good luck to you both

Sam