535 mag??

Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:10 am

strongly considering one of these as my main rough ground reel (maybe for tope too). anyone used one? what ye think? do you think i would get better for the price? cheers lads, any info. much appreciated.

Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:52 pm

Hi mb3,
I have the 535 GS that i use for heavy ground work.It is loaded with 35lb Ultima F1 black and so far this has proved to be a great set up. The mag version is probably even better than the older GS ,so i would have no hesitation in recommending a Penn.The only slight drawback i find is that the spool is quite heavy and if you just lob your bait out you need to watch for overruns as the spool spins faster than the line is leaving the reel.Reasonably heavy casts are no problem and plenty of thumb breaking helps with the lobs.All in all it's a bomb proof reel with great winching power.Go for it mate.

Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:06 am

I have both the GS and Mag of these, good reel for what you are planning, on the mag I loaded 30lb mono, but only filled to 75% of cap, a lot easier to cast and the rest has been covered by shockleader50,,,,,,,,thats it, enjoy

dave :wink:

Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:21 pm

thanks for the feedback lads, much appreciated. find penn mags very tame with a good drop of line from the spool lip. thanks.

Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:10 pm

Hi Mark,
I see their launching the super 535, it might be worth considering.

And lads if anyone has any info on the Penn copperhead rod i'd much appreciate it. All i seem to be able to find out is how far it casts and not how it fishes....
Thanks

Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:06 am

Wrasseputin i couldn't find anything on the copperhead. have magazine article somewhere if that's any use??? on the penn front i have to say i am not convinced by the 'new' supermag. front what i the standard mag can be upgraded to a supermag. 2 more magnet's and better bearings??? you can get them yourself?! now don't take my word for it, i could be wrong but i wil check up on it.