Kilkea, Clare

Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:47 pm

I am fishing down in the Kilkea area over the Christmas. Just wondering if people can reccomend beaches that might offer bass?? thanks

Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:50 pm

see reply on Saltwater fly fishing Ed.

Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:14 pm

Nice one H rocks. Will not be flyfishing in Clare however. I have never cast a fly in my life so will be no where near proficient enough by next week. still need to get Reel and lines etc. That info would be greatfully received though. Thanks

Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:15 pm

I thought I'd respond living in the neighbouring county though I've never fished for bass in clare. I've been told the shallow surf beachs such as Doughmore fish for bass with a surf much like in kerry with the same tactics and bait (lug, razor & sand eel). Though I know anglers that fish these beachs regularly and never catch a bass. A diver tells me there are 3 rock pillars in kilkee bay and bass frequent the middle one but only the diving boats can reach get near it so its impossible to fish. Though it shows there are bass in the bay. The pollack pools in the bay look very bassy.

One area the lads do fish for bass successfully is the blue pool during the summer but I've never fished there and its very dangerous. The council used explosives to make it less accessible after a number of people were washed in.

Donagh

Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:36 pm

Ed

Did you have any luck?

Donagh

Kilkee, Clare

Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:06 pm

Very, very quiet day. I forgot to bring waders so fished Carrigholf pier Three of us fished a total of 6 rods with every bait conceivable. Started at 2 till 8 high tide being 8. We caught a handful of whiting, all undersize, a small ling and a flounder of about a lb. Most fish fell to squid with some falling for prawn. I did manage to catch another sea gull (my second). I was on the phone when I saw my rod getting a huge knock, quickly pocketed the phone to realise that a Gull had flown into the line and was tangled. The first time this happened to me was in Bray a couple of years ago and I cut the line hoping that the gull could then free itsself, which it didn,t. This time I reeled in the gull and as I was lifting it out of the water it managed to free its wing tip and Flew away. Thanks be to ****!!!! I was not looking forward to hold the gull down to cut away the line.

Another pesky bird , a gannett I think took a launce off my hook just as I was about to lift it off the wafer, a chase ensued and I think the fish got away.

I did not do any flyfishing as I am still learning the basic casting. All in all a very poor days fishing. Good craic though and great to get out. Thanks for all the tips on the area. Much appreciated

Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:39 pm

Thanks for the update. Petty you had no ray this time but maybe the rough weather put them off.

Donagh