Opinions on grip leads when rockfishing?

Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:15 am

Just wondered what your thoughts were on using grip-leads when rock fishing. I was lead to believe that the wires helped stop the lead going down into cracks, but I lose a stack of them in the rocks. I've seen a fella recently using a flattened plain lead and he does seem to get it back.

Would bending the grip wires out to 90 degrees make any difference?

Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:38 pm

Hi fish on

The leads in my view 2 use when rock fishing is a 2oz or 3oz lead with no grip.But if there is a strong current use a heavy 6oz or 5oz weight.It is the only way to avoid grip leads.

Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:10 pm

I do quite a bit of rock fishing and always use grip leads. I bend the wire at right angles to the lead and i do feel that this prevents the lead from getting stuck fast in the rocks - I lose about one per session - I also use a rotten bottom. Losing leads over rough ground I think is inevitable, but the fishing can be great.

Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:35 pm

Thanks for that. I don't know why I haven't thought about bending the wires out before!

Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:23 pm

A Logical tip I got off SOD : When rock fishing use plain weights as these will simulate where food is being deposited, which is often in snags.Let your baited hooks find the snags. SNAGS=FISH