Whitng Bay , Ardmore , Co. Waterford

Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:05 pm

Hi there , I was just wondering if anyone out there has fished Whiting Bay from the shore this time of year . Was there today walking my dog after losing a local soccer match . Yep really disappointed but would be interested to learn more about Whiting Bay . ie when is the best time to fish the tide ? what bait ? special marks on the shoreline ? any tips would be welcome . Definitely going back there with my Beachcaster . Whiting Bay - great name by the way .

Whiting Bay

Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:32 pm

Yep looks great doesn't it, but its not to good for fishing. One thing for sure you won't get any whiting their.
Fished it a few times a number of years ago, but only ever had a flounder. Most people don't rate it at all (I'm one), but I would love to be proved wrong. It can produce Bass in a South Westernly on a rising tide at the stream in the middle of the beach. The rocks on the right can hold the odd flounder, but for some strange reason you don't get a lot else. It has such a bad name that many locals don't fish it and maybe things have changed I don't know. I quess the problem is that its so close to Ballyquinn and Youghal that people go there instead, as both of these are proven marks. Youhal is full of tiny coddling at present and should be avoided, but Ballyquinn should be thowing up decent coalies and the odd good Bass with the outside chance of a coddling at low water for distance casters on the left of the beach. If you fish it post even if you blank because the more info the better.

whiting bay

Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:46 am

hey guys, hope you won't mind me dropping in but as a regular in this area of the south east ( and a fellow BASS club member) i'd have to disagree slightly with drseafish and say whiting bay can be very good at times for mixed bags of codling (i've had them to 3lb) coalies and even whiting in winter and doggies in the summer. i even know of a 14lb huss taken in daylight on mackerel albeit 15 years ago.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:24 pm

Ha Ha,

Well 15yrs ago is a long time in the fishing world. If its so great why don't we have it as a venue in the club,,, most of the lads would go nuts thats why.
Seriously GUEST (time to log on) when did you last have a decent catch there..

whiting bay

Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:30 pm

last time i fished there was the back end of october last had eight doggies and three coalies in about three hours on a 3.9m tide from an hour after low water in darkness. the main reason the lads wont fish there is back in 1999 we had to call off a competition an hour after the off, due to severely heavy weed. i think they've written it off ever since. silly when you look at some of this and next years venues.

Whiting Bay

Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:59 pm

Guest!

Never new it could be so good. Shame nobody ever mentioned they would like to fish it. Those doggies would really suit the big hitters.
At least next years venues don't consist of the slob, slob, slob, slob, slob, slob, slob, slob...................................................
Maybe if more people turned up at the AGM and got involved in running the club we would be able to suit everybodies requirments. Can't please everyone all the time.

whiting bay

Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:40 pm

couldn't agree more on the slob and must also add that i think the organisers are doing a sterling job in general, keep it up.

if everybody was happy all the time it would be called 'catching' and not fishing.

ps. i can only dream of being a big hitter the beach works best for me at about 80 yards range.