Kilrush????

Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:06 am

Hi, I will be in Kilrush, Co.Clare for a few days next week and was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips regarding marks or methods for this area or anywhere within a reasonably close distance!!?
Thanks,
Bren

Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:23 am

See the reports from the estuary for cappa which is a mile from kilrush. Frosty nights are best.

Donagh

Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:44 pm

Fished Cappa pier from 2pm (high tide of 2:30) until 6pm into darkness on the Dec 8th .. a few tiny pollack and a pair of 3 bearded rocklings towards the end to at least break the bordom!! Was using mackerel and squid.. mostly mackerel, as it was advised as the primary bait to use here! But it wasn't to be... the streak of bad luck and not one decent fish to my name continues :cry: I'm close to giving up!

Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:39 pm

brenballs, don't despair. winter fishing can be tough. persevere 'til the new year- i'll show you a few decent spots.

Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:58 am

Brenballs

I heard and found cappa wasn't fishing great last weekend. I know it doesn't seem like it now but sooner or later you'll have a good session and it's made all the better by the bad ones your having now.

Donagh

Carrigholt pier

Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:35 pm

Over the christmas last year we had a great day catching thornies off the pier. There was no great skill in catching them. A cast of 60 yards with a big mackerel bait on the incoming tide did the business. With ray you get a big knock on the rod as they land on the bait. Give the fish the chance to swallow the bait (at least 5 minutes) then strike and bring the fish home.

Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:40 am

Lads,

Do you really need to give them 5 mins. :?: I have only fished for Ray a handful of times but I always struck quite a bit quicker (maybe 30sec. to 1 min) Is there any hard and fast rule? or do these fish just need a bit more time. I would be worried about the fish swallowing the hook and not being able to return it.

Kev