Strangford Lough

Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:09 pm

Anyone know of any good shore marks running up the portaferry road from Newtownards to Portaferry?

Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:58 pm

I don't know of any in Particular, All looks like Flattie country to me, Its where to find the blighters though... All those bays around the saltwater brigg and all are bound to hold some fish.

Portaferry itself is a pretty sure bet.
Love that spot.

Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:07 pm

Thx for your reply!

What type of fish am i likely to catch at portaferry?

As you have probably guessed am a noob!

Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:44 pm

Ummmm, Doggies, Pollack, Coalies, Rockling, Possible Codling, Congers... I'm sure there's more.... Fish from the pier at the bottom of the town...

Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:16 pm

I have found that the fishing is better at low tide.Had plenty of doggies and a decent conger when fishing over low water,but nothing a week later over high water.Use quite heavy gear if youv'e got it as the ground is quite stoney and kelpy.I use 30lb reel line and always managed to retrieve my end tackle.Squid works well as bait here.There have been reports of large bull huss and decent cod from Portaferry,so good luck.

Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:55 pm

Well fished at portaferry today and got plenty of bites but nothing caught, but hey am still learning.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:00 pm

You should come to the next forum meet mate. Keep checking the Clubs and Meets section for information.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:05 pm

the rocky headland just north of marlfield bay just passed where the coast road turns inland has deep water out from it probably too far to cast but the depth drops off real fast here might hold better fish, or the strangford side at audleys it has really deep water well within a decent cast but what do i know? ive fished along there for 3 years now with hardly a fish!!! seen plenty of dolphins though.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:40 pm

Is that at the Ballyhenry end Ray?? Or Toward the Mouth??

strangford lough

Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:38 pm

SAMJOR, a good mark to bear in mind for next summer (particularly for beginner)is through Portaferry towards the mouth of the lough. Park where the coast road veers inland at the old peoples home. walk out sewards for about 600 yds along the shore till you get to a very noticeable outcrop of rocks. Coalfish shoal here in large numbers and can give great sport on light tackle with spinners or hokkais/shrimpers. They go to about 2 lbs but average about a pound. The currents are powerful but bottom fishing could be productive in suitable conditions-very hussy!
Never tried at this time of year but was always a banker in the summer. good luck

Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:09 pm

the marlfield mark is on the lough side not the mouth side the audleys mark is just where the narrows start to widen out a bit - facing Lee's wreck. Lee's is a good mark if you have access to a boat even a small one you see people here in 10 footers in the summer

Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:43 pm

Lees is the Big Hull Sits out of the water a good bit just up the Lough from Portaferry.
Fished Ballyhenry bay for Pollack there...

Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:45 pm

Spartacus,

What sort of depth of water you get there?
U think it could be worth a Blip with Big baits for Conger/Huss then??

Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:27 pm

Thx for all the help everyone.
Didnt think it would be so bloody hard this fishing caper.
Think I could do with going with someone to show me the ropes. Only problem is I dont drive, so meeting up with u guys could be difficult.
Starting to lose interest slowly, which I dont want!

Anyway thx again.
Sam

strangford marks

Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:10 pm

K2 extreme,

there is good depth and i think it would great potential. i would plan to go over a neap at top or bottom of the tide. the coalies can keep you busy while you wait.

moved from Bangor to Dublin some years ago but still fish the odd time in Strangford. think it has real potential. There used to be big flounder in the bays and inlets on the coast road round towards Kearney point.

Re: strangford marks

Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:36 pm

Last edited by marty on Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

strangford

Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:43 pm

spartacus,any more info on where the flounder were caught around kearney.the mark you mentioned for the coalies is i think dogtail point.have had pollack to 4lb and has potential for biggies.k2,an easy place for congers is strangford pier.let me know if you need details.

Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:38 pm

Yehhhaaaaaa, Local Knowledge, lol

strangford

Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:00 am

k2,take the ferry to strangford walk over to the pier on the right hand side.you will see a few mooring buoys, the congers are living around the chains.cast to the big white one straight out. its also worth putting a bait straight down as well.if there is a boat tied up to the pier its the lifeboat for the ferry service,its okay to fish of it and for landing eels.if not make yourself a drop net, very handy.usual mackeral baits a good one as well is a mackeral fillet whipped on to a pennell rig and then whip a squid on to the mackeral stops the crabs for a while.the real key is to fish 4 days after a new moon at low water slack which at strangford is half an hour to an hour after d,dee,or 4 days after a full moon with cloud cover at low water.congers are up to 15lb,let me know how you get on

Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:20 am

U up for the next forum meet then Marty, Whenever it may be?