Flounder this winter

Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:55 pm

Right lads, I'm branching out, I know there's a beach in my local area that produces flounder at certain times of the year... Thing Is, I forget what time of year it produces them!!!

Any help would we gratefully received.

Re: Flounder this winter

Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:26 pm

hi k2 would this be dollymount?it is generally good at this time of year.im only guessing it is dollymount cos of the picture of you with the flat that you caught.

Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:02 pm

No mate its in Bangor...

Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:54 pm

Hi K2
nice to read you are branching out

the best to catch is between 1st Jan till the 32nd Dec.......

what beach did you say?????????

dave

Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:06 am

Its Ballyholme in Bangor.

Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:19 am

K2 Xtreme wrote:Its Ballyholme in Bangor.

Was thinking about this thread.... managed to find it....

Have you give it a go yet K2 ?

Thinking of giving the above mentioned beach a try for flounder on the fly.... so have a few questions (open to all.....):

* how far out do flounder feed - is it withing wading distance + 20 yards?

* what do flounder eat - so will know what to imitate with a fly.?

* do flounder eat smaller other flatfish or smaller flounder - as i have some flatfish imitation flies i tied up. (see pic)?
[img]http://www.speakingthetruth.co.uk/jamesonline/dab01.jpg[/img]

Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:23 pm

anything really will work as long as they hug the bottom, clousers, shrimp pattern r worm patterns. and they feed in really shallow water. the best beach for fly fishing for them seem to b those very shallow beaches with very clear water. retrive nice and slow with sporadic tugs to send up puffs of sand. i dont think u will find it too hard to get one
Liam

Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:35 pm

Judging by the Contours on the Admiralty Chart you could walk half way to Carrick on Ballyholme beach....

helens bay

Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:07 pm

Been told on good stead that, the bay does well from rocks near old ruined boat house as you walk towards grawfordsburn. Blame wollsey tackle if wrong

Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:04 pm

Think ya have the wrong Beach pookmeister....
And I blame Wolseys tackle for everything... laffin.
Its a joke, no sueing.

Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:06 pm

hey just seen those flattie flies u have. i reckon u might have more of a chance of a tope on them than a flounder! now thats a seed planted in luke skully's head for the summer. tope on the fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what do flounder feed on..

Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:41 am

liamd wrote:hey just seen those flattie flies u have. i reckon u might have more of a chance of a tope on them than a flounder! now thats a seed planted in luke skully's head for the summer. tope on the fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

originally tied for Bass etc..........
I know a guy who actually does try for tope on the fly - lives on jersey... havent heard from him for a while actually - if he did hook one hes probably still fighting it :D .

ok.... what about shrimps and crabs - Do they eat them? - i have a few shrimp patterns and a few crab patterns........?? :roll:

Pookie...ballyholme is the other side of bangor to crawfordsburn.... they might have been talking about helens bay...?

cheers - james

Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:45 am

Any Chance of A Ragoworm pattern Jam?

Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:49 pm

K2 Xtreme wrote:Any Chance of A Ragoworm pattern Jam?

on the case.... :)