slowarm's Blog

Getting Afloat again

Permanent Link by slowarm on Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:16 pm

One month and a bit down the road since the last post and at last everything is ready. The mooring is down - a bit further out than I'd hoped (long row out to it) but it means the boat is alway on water and floating. I was down at the harbour a while ago and the tide is very very low and most other boats are grounded.

The tender is sitting in the hall awaiting inflation and inspection. Back in Davison’s boatyard my boat is going on to the new trailer (new to me) today and the last bits are being done to it - replacing bolts and nuts and the like. The frame for the canopy had to be replaced as it was warped so I had to have a stainless steel frame made and this added to the delay. If all goes well I should launch by the weekend. The weather looks to be ok for Friday/Saturday and the tides are too. Kinvara can only launch either side of high tide by about an hour or so.

Now all I need is to re-acquaint myself with the boat and equipment and get some fishing done.

TTFN.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

The worst time to have a heart attack is while playing charades! Specially if your friends are no good at it.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." Carl Sagan.

Getting Afloat Again

Permanent Link by slowarm on Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:21 pm

The Boat is currently in Davisons boatyard in Cahirtinny near Loughrea. It had been sitting in the yard of the house we rented outside Loughrea for the last year and a half but I finally managed to get enough spare cash to replace the windows and the windscreen. It will be ready within the next week or so and then I need to shift it to Kinvara where I am getting a permanent mooring.

Davisons are replacing the windows/windscreen and touching up the woodwork, paintwork and antifouling the bottom of the boat. There is also some bodywork being touched up. The final thing will be servicing the two engines - the Aux is not even run in properly - and that's scheduled for later this week. Then she's off to the sea.

It is my intention to get out as often as I can and having the permanent mooring means once the weather is good enough it is only a case of taking the tender down to the slip, rowing out to the boat and making for the outer bay.

Apart from putting in reports (regardless of what happens...

[ Continued ]
Last edited by slowarm on Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

The worst time to have a heart attack is while playing charades! Specially if your friends are no good at it.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." Carl Sagan.